Level of detail/depth needed for anatomy?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Knicks, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Knicks

Besides knowing were things are located and major arteries, should we focus on the tiny, itty bitty, annoying minutiae with regards to anatomy?

There already is a vast amount of material to know for the step 1 in general anway, so any amount of 'unnecessary' material I can 'leave out' will be helpful.

Thoughts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Keg

Keg

Fellow [Any Field]
    "Gross anatomy is generally low yield." That's what I've gotten. I'm going to read FA, memorize as much of that as I can, and then the italicized stuff from Road Map. If I don't get it from that, oh well.

4. osli

osli Senior Member

Medical Student
    Seems like there are certain areas you want to know... brachial plexus and maybe lumbar plexus, including innervation of distal extremities (i.e., peroneal nerve, tibial nerve, etc.) and what arteries/nerves a certain injury might affect, arterial branching and ducts around the liver/gall bladder/pancreas/stomach, stuff that has pathologic associations (esophageal varices, etc.), cardiac anatomy and maybe embryology, blood supply to the lower gut, and probably a fair grasp of neuroanatomy. And if you're a DO student sympathetic and parasympathetic innervations for everything.

There's probably more that is considered high yield, but this probably represents the bulk of it. Even on UW this would cover the large majority of pure anatomy questions, and for step 1 this plus whatever happens to be in FA is all I'll worry about.

5. -Goose-

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah. My gross anatomy preparation is basically FA + UW + Nerve lesions of the upper and lower extremity in HYGA. Thats it.