Level of detail/depth needed for anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides knowing were things are located and major arteries, should we focus on the tiny, itty bitty, annoying minutiae with regards to anatomy?

There already is a vast amount of material to know for the step 1 in general anway, so any amount of 'unnecessary' material I can 'leave out' will be helpful.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

"Gross anatomy is generally low yield." That's what I've gotten. I'm going to read FA, memorize as much of that as I can, and then the italicized stuff from Road Map. If I don't get it from that, oh well.

Seems like there are certain areas you want to know... brachial plexus and maybe lumbar plexus, including innervation of distal extremities (i.e., peroneal nerve, tibial nerve, etc.) and what arteries/nerves a certain injury might affect, arterial branching and ducts around the liver/gall bladder/pancreas/stomach, stuff that has pathologic associations (esophageal varices, etc.), cardiac anatomy and maybe embryology, blood supply to the lower gut, and probably a fair grasp of neuroanatomy. And if you're a DO student sympathetic and parasympathetic innervations for everything.

There's probably more that is considered high yield, but this probably represents the bulk of it. Even on UW this would cover the large majority of pure anatomy questions, and for step 1 this plus whatever happens to be in FA is all I'll worry about.

Yeah. My gross anatomy preparation is basically FA + UW + Nerve lesions of the upper and lower extremity in HYGA. Thats it.