Apr 11, 2010
Status
Ok, how detailed should I get when studying cellular respiration for the DAT?
Do I need to memorize all of the steps of the Krebs cycle? What about the Calvin cycle?

I did not have to memorize either of these for Bio 101 - how detailed will the DAT be?

DATkiller

5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Know the number of carbons,ATP and nadh and the location of each reaction. Get the kaplans blue book.

DrDientes

7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2009
California
Status
Dentist
You will without a doubt have to remember general facts, probably as in detail as any practice tests you take. However what I found a little more challenging on the tests was being able to apply concepts that you learn in Bio, like genetics and offspring mostly

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I would say of you know Kaplan Blue Book and Cliff's AP bio back to front then you should be good for the bio section. Most of the stuff on the exam is around that same depth.

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
I agree with DrDientes that you need to be able to aplly those facts in answering the question, it's not just knowing the facts. The test ia not very detailed but it is very broad in the array of topics it tests you on.
Good luck!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Ok, how detailed should I get when studying cellular respiration for the DAT?
Do I need to memorize all of the steps of the Krebs cycle? What about the Calvin cycle?

I did not have to memorize either of these for Bio 101 - how detailed will the DAT be?
The most important thing to know is WHERE these processes happen in the cell. You need to know generally whats happening but you do NOT need to memorize every substrate / enzyme that acts.

Underestand things like why is glycolysis a powerful thing to have for anaerobic organisms? (because glycolysis does not require Oxygen in order for it to provide energy)

Also understand its role in physiology, sometimes our cells (esspcially muscle cells) can only perform glycolysis? why is that? (because when your in need of a quick form of energy, the body doesn't kick off the krebs cycle as fast as it can kick off glycolysis, which ultimately leads to you building up lactic acid ~ the burning sensation you feel when your weight training)

Ultimatly you want to be able to underestand not only what glycolysis, krebs, or calvin cycles are, but WHY are they so important. This is how some biology questions are written, they are not detailed based, but rather require the student to tie up different ideas

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
the bio covered on the DAT can be general as well as very detailed things you might never have read in to the best thing to do is understand all of it to do that u need as many resources as possible meaning kaplan blue book Cliffs AP bio and the latest version of destroyer. with all these and maybe some topscore you should be able to land a good score on the DAT its so random you never know wat you'll get so do everything you can. best of luck

Apr 12, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I would also know that NAD+ and FAD are oxidizing agents because they accept electrons during many stages of the process and thus are reduced. Remember OIL RIG and that oxidizing agents are reduced and reducing agents are oxidized. I saw this when I took the DAT.