Leverage against a school when you have another acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btricycle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have an acceptance from a school but am holding out for my top choice, would calling them for an update ("demand") do anything? 2 weeks is a pretty quick turnaround time to notify a school whether you're going there or not, especially if your 1st choice hasn't sent a letter yet (and I interviewed with them first!)

Members don't see this ad.

You can try, but keep in mind that there is far more demand than supply for the seats of ANY school. Call them and ask about your status, just don't wave the other acceptance in their face.

If I have an acceptance from a school but am holding out for my top choice, would calling them for an update ("demand") do anything? 2 weeks is a pretty quick turnaround time to notify a school whether you're going there or not, especially if your 1st choice hasn't sent a letter yet (and I interviewed with them first!)

? I'm not sure I'm following your post at all

You can tell X school you are going there so they hold your spot for the time being, even if you hope to get into Y school. Only after May 15th are deposits due, and only then are you locked into a school (though you can still get off waitlists). And even if this school wants a deposit now, you might as well bite teh bullet and send the few hundred dollars so you have a backup.

Leveraging Y school won't work. Lots of people hold multiple acceptances, so it's silly to think that giving Y school some sort of ultimatum would benefit you in a positive way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
? I'm not sure I'm following your post at all

You can tell X school you are going there so they hold your spot for the time being, even if you hope to get into Y school. Only after May 15th are deposits due, and only then are you locked into a school (though you can still get off waitlists). And even if this school wants a deposit now, you might as well bite teh bullet and send the few hundred dollars so you have a backup.

Leveraging Y school won't work. Lots of people hold multiple acceptances, so it's silly to think that giving Y school some sort of ultimatum would benefit you in a positive way.

agreed.

Valid point. I don't have $1000 that could go to waste if I end up attending the school I am waiting on. Calling for an update won't hurt (or probably help). Granted this is all hypothetical because I haven't received letter #1 though. Just preparing since it'll be here in the next week.

Valid point. I don't have $1000 that could go to waste if I end up attending the school I am waiting on. Calling for an update won't hurt (or probably help). Granted this is all hypothetical because I haven't received letter #1 though. Just preparing since it'll be here in the next week.

I still don't get what you're saying. Any deposit you give to a school is refundable as long as you withdraw from that school by May 15. So nothing's going to waste, unless you commit to a different school after May 15.

It would be silly to expect or "demand" anything from schools, but depending on the school (especially schools in the top 10-20) you might get something in the form of scholarships if you let them know you're considering other schools. It all depends on your awesomeness as an applicant and whether or not the school cares.

DO acceptance...and holding out for that coveted MD? 1000 bones seems like one of the midwest DO schools' steep deposits.

And if you have interviewed at this second school already shoot the director of admissions an e mail. It likely wont get you anywhere...but you never know.

"I have an offer of admission at another school which requires a steep nonrefundable deposit. I loved your school and think it would be the perfect place for me to obtain my medical education. Any insight to the status of my application before I send in my deposit would be greatly appreciated...blah blah blah."

Like I said...its not going to change their opinions of you...but may get you info as to your status quicker.

It would be silly to expect or "demand" anything from schools, but depending on the school (especially schools in the top 10-20) you might get something in the form of scholarships if you let them know you're considering other schools. It all depends on your awesomeness as an applicant and whether or not the school cares.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where Lil Wayne used the word "silly"... I guess I have seen everything now.

Thanks for the info. Yes my potential acceptance is a DO school, however I'm not waiting because its a "coveted" MD (nice little jab BTW). Its my alma mater and I wont have to move far. My fiancee has a great job here and we'd rather not spend the energy for her looking for another one in a different state.

Thanks for the info. Yes my potential acceptance is a DO school, however I'm not waiting because its a "coveted" MD (nice little jab BTW). Its my alma mater and I wont have to move far. My fiancee has a great job here and we'd rather not spend the energy for her looking for another one in a different state.

Have you sent a LOI to the MD school stating as much? Most schools appreciate knowing that you will definitely attend if accepted.

I doubt it will have much of an effect unless you're some genius that they want/would have scholarship to. Otherwise, they have leverage against you -- 200 other highly qualified applicants. Although it never hurts to give a slight nudge through a sublt email that humbly states, "Yo, I got an acceptance somewhere else and was wondering if I should give them an 'OK' or 'Hold on I'm waiting for other schools'". Something like that won't sound to demanding, but will, hopefully, still accomplish what you're trying to get them to do.

Last edited:
Have you sent a LOI to the MD school stating as much? Most schools appreciate knowing that you will definitely attend if accepted.

Yeah, an LOI stating you would go if accepted (and legitmately meaning it like saying you went to school there, your fiancee has a job there, and would definitely attend) would probably have more weight than another acceptance elsewhere.

Still no guarantee of course.

haha no jab meant my e friend. I go to a DO school...but am pretty fed up with some of the things that go on at my school with regard to the "osteopathic" part...so dont I would blame anyone for going the MD route. I was in the exact OPPOSITE situation as you. My fiance had a great job here/I own a house here so I didnt want to leave the city.

And if you have interviewed at this second school already shoot the director of admissions an e mail. It likely wont get you anywhere...but you never know.

"I have an offer of admission at another school which requires a steep nonrefundable deposit. I loved your school and think it would be the perfect place for me to obtain my medical education. Any insight to the status of my application before I send in my deposit would be greatly appreciated...blah blah blah."

Like I said...its not going to change their opinions of you...but may get you info as to your status quicker.

+1. You need them more then they need you, you have no leverage whatsoever. Still, it can't hurt to express interest and explain your circumstances in a polite, respectful manner.

The only "leverage" an applicant really has is after the acceptance has come. At that point, the school is invested in you and wants you to attend. Even then, you should be respectful, but mabye can mention that you loved their school and would love to attend, but school X offered a scholarship, etc.

+1. You need them more then they need you, you have no leverage whatsoever. Still, it can't hurt to express interest and explain your circumstances in a polite, respectful manner.

The only "leverage" an applicant really has is after the acceptance has come. At that point, the school is invested in you and wants you to attend. Even then, you should be respectful, but mabye can mention that you loved their school and would love to attend, but school X offered a scholarship, etc.

This.

The only students who would have any leverage would be exceptional researchers, who would bring prestige and grants to the school, and even still, I've only heard that having an attitude that shows you feel entitled to an acceptance is a ticket for a rejection. I think the above posters wording is the best way to mention your dilemma, that you were good enough to be accepted elsewhere, that you truly want to go to their school, all with humility.