Leveraging scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WontGiveUp90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had success leveraging scholarships against each other at different schools? I got a big scholarship to school A and a small one to school B. I like school B more and the two schools compete directly for candidates. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Send a tactful email saying what you just said, but give number amounts, and you may or may not have to add the names of the other two schools; its moot since all schools can see all you acceptances at this point. Better yet a phone call will do.

Negotiate. It's a business move. On your part and their part. Give facts, state them clearly and don't sound whiney. Put your big boy/girl pants/dress/suit whatever on and ask if there is anyway they could match or give a better offer than school xyz. Be polite, thank them for taking your call, say yes ma'am and yes sir and you'll be kosher.

Congrats on being in this position. Have fun with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Send a tactful email saying what you just said, but give number amounts, and you may or may not have to add the names of the other two schools; its moot since all schools can see all you acceptances at this point. Better yet a phone call will do.

Negotiate. It's a business move. On your part and their part. Give facts, state them clearly and don't sound whiney. Put your big boy/girl pants/dress/suit whatever on and ask if there is anyway they could match or give a better offer than school xyz. Be polite, thank them for taking your call, say yes ma'am and yes sir and you'll be kosher.

Congrats on being in this position. Have fun with it.
Thanks, really appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend a call vs. an email? And for either who should we be calling? The dean or financial aid services?

Would you recommend a call vs. an email? And for either who should we be calling? The dean or financial aid services?

I would say call finanical aid department. They would know who you should talk to and they will probably gladly connect you to the right person.

I put on my big boy pants and tried to get more money, but it didn't work. They explained they simply have no more to give this year but to reapply next year. But apparently a big reason School A has so much scholarship money and that their tuition is a little more than School B is because 5% of each student's tuition goes into a scholarship pool. So in essence, the kids w/o scholarships are paying for the kids with scholarships. I'm not sure if I'm really comfortable accepting a scholarship that my classmates we're forced to pay for lol

Last edited:
I put on my big boy pants and tried to get more money, but it didn't work. They explained they simply have no more to give this year but to reapply next year. But apparently a big reason School A has so much scholarship money and that their tuition is a little more than School B is because 5% of each student's tuition goes into a scholarship pool. So in essence, the kids w/o scholarships are paying for the kids with scholarships. I'm not sure if I'm really comfortable accepting a scholarship that my classmates we're forced to pay for lol
Yeah, that's also how our government works.

Reactions: 5 users