Lewis Katz Temple v Cooper Medical Rowan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do these two schools compare ? asking because both are located in philadelphia (cooper is about 10 minutes away) but i have never heard of cooper medical and temple only in the context of basketball. excited by both programs. my main goal is to do residency in california. fearful that both of these schools may not be established enough

i would like to make an objective decision in narrowing down my options before taking some personal factors into account to make my final decision later on in the cycle so im refraining from providing my own reasons or details. thank you and good luck to us all !

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say Temple is easily the better, more established program of the two with plenty of people who match in CA each year. Plus, it is $10k/year cheaper for OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
how do these two schools compare ? asking because both are located in philadelphia (cooper is about 10 minutes away) but i have never heard of cooper medical and temple only in the context of basketball. excited by both programs. my main goal is to do residency in california. fearful that both of these schools may not be established enough

i would like to make an objective decision in narrowing down my options before taking some personal factors into account to make my final decision later on in the cycle so im refraining from providing my own reasons or details. thank you and good luck to us all !

Hey these are both familiar to me in my region. Hey are actually both in the philly area and serve similar patient populations! Temple is older and more established. Cooper is in NJ it’s old enough and was affiliated with other state Med schools so clinical arm is really strong. I honestly think these two are equal for a California person. For residency it is not always possible to match back in your region and you may end up doing a residency in the region if med school l/ philly. I would choose temple for the larger class size/ closer to philly and larger alumni network ( some residents or docs ahead of you from temple could open up doors). these are equivalent imo.

Temple student here so I'm biased but, both schools have good reputations in the region. I've heard from other doctors that Temple educated students are some of the most clinically prepared students they have met. I didn't think this mattered during M1/M2 but it actually really does. PM me if you have any questions about Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have more specifics on cooper if that’s what you are after. It’s new but a few years old now and their past few matches have been really good. Not too many to California, though as the class was small and most people were not from California. It’s likely not everyone has heard of Rowan cooper. I wouldn’t let that stop you, though. The area where the med school is not the best, they built a dorm across the street and they have a parking deck and it’s walking from the train station. Most people do not live in Camden. Camden is one of the most underserved patient populations in nj. The school is tied into its mission of helping the community. If you got in you already know that. Wanting to match back to California seems discrepant with going there to help the community, although I believe it could be a goal of yours. They match regionally mainly. Less of a track record of getting people to CA since newer and smaller classes. Research lite in terms of opportunities and great clinical experience similar to cooper. For medium competitive specialties, you should be able to match back to Cali from anywhere, including NJ.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that Cooper has 20 weeks of electives in MS4, 16 weeks of which can be away rotations that may help you in residency placement oos. I am unsure of LKSOM.