LGBT and applying to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old-Country-Vet-Tech

UF CVM c/o 2024
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a transgender male (pre everything due to trying to get into vet school first but I pass) and trying to decide where else to apply besides UF. I am very wary of Auburn due to it being in Alabama, but I've heard good things about LMU. Has anyone else had experiences as an LGBT applicant? Can any Alums give advice?

Members don't see this ad.

There are several LGBT individuals in my class at Illinois.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to find if the schools you're interested in have LGBTQ clubs/organizations - either specifically at the vet school or at the grad/prof level that include different colleges. That's usually a good indicator of how welcoming a school environment will be.

Ohio State has a very robust LGBTQ community at the university level. The Columbus community is also very LGBTQ friendly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of people on the LGBTQ* spectrum in my class at Virginia-Maryland.

Reactions: 1 users
Community is quite small and most formal resources are on main campus, but I've never seen faculty or hospital anything but supportive at NCSU.

.....I am very wary of Auburn due to it being in Alabama......
Huh. I would have worried about Florida, too. But what do I know? I don't really care about the gender of anyone unless I'm thinking about us dating.

I'm a transgender male (pre everything due to trying to get into vet school first but I pass) and trying to decide where else to apply besides UF. I am very wary of Auburn due to it being in Alabama, but I've heard good things about LMU. Has anyone else had experiences as an LGBT applicant? Can any Alums give advice?

I am attending Auburn this upcoming fall, and with a little research I found that the main campus does have a LGBTQ group. It's relatively new and has been active in trying to promote equality and fairness. While I am a straight female, I did not see anyone being treated unfairly on the CVM campus when I visited for interviews either.

Huh. I would have worried about Florida, too. But what do I know? I don't really care about the gender of anyone unless I'm thinking about us dating.
Florida is progressive and even when its not most folks don't care as long as you're not flaunting. I work in rural communities doing LA tech work so florida doesn't worry me. Fl is very much hard to describe because its progressive in many ways, but sometimes backwards in others ( Still a lot of racism in a lot of areas I work in).

Gainesville is very lgbt friendly but I North Fl is as I said, safe if you arent throwing a one person pride parade. I love what Auburn has to offer, im just wanting to know if anyone else has to say. I visit my friend in SC a lot on her Air force base in Sumter and ive never had issues in SC so im not worried about the south in general.

Ohio state I need to talk to Because im missing their physiology credits but planning to take them this fall.

Last edited:
I am attending Auburn this upcoming fall, and with a little research I found that the main campus does have a LGBTQ group. It's relatively new and has been active in trying to promote equality and fairness. While I am a straight female, I did not see anyone being treated unfairly on the CVM campus when I visited for interviews either.
Im interested in them because of their equine and large animal areas of study, they are exciting :)

University of Minnesota seemed to have great LGBTQ resources (this came up during my interview) and stated how important inclusion was to them. There were "no hate" posters in the vet school when I toured. One of many reasons I loved their program. Minneapolis also seems like an incredibly diverse city with a lot going on. My SO and I have a lot of friends in Minneapolis who play in bands and they all agree.

Michigan State University also values LGBTQ rights greatly. There is an entire office devoted to this work, called the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. They are really active in bringing resources to individuals of all ethnicities, gender identity, etc.

Those are the two schools I know about the most. Hope that helps!

One doctor I used to work with who is lesbian went to Auburn. I actually asked her about it when I was considering places for residency (Bi and intolerant of intolerance). She said it was fine as long as you didn't venture too far out of Auburn itself.

Im interested in them because of their equine and large animal areas of study, they are exciting :)

They have gorgeous barns and a herd of cattle for student teaching. Auburn was the school that impressed me the most and I fell in love with it as soon as we got there. The population there seems to be young, as it's a college town, therefore I would think it would be open minded. As nyanko stated, you probably don't want to venture out of Auburn, but with how busy you'll be in vet school you probably won't have time to explore anywhere else in Alabama to begin with. I'd say go for it and don't let discrimination hold you back!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The AAVMC does surveys every so often, though it looks like they don't release school-specific information. Here's some info about a survey on diversity and here's some info on an LGBT-specific survey. This is a bit outdated (from 2011), but here's a chart that shows schools' discrimination policies and whether or not employers can legally discriminate against LGBT individuals in that state.

That last link is from Broad Spectrum at UC Davis. VOICE is another group to look into at vet schools. I'm sure if you contacted officers in those groups, they'd be happy to answer some questions for you. Most schools have some sort of diversity chair, and I'm sure they could put you in touch with students who'd be willing to talk to you as well. U Wisconsin sent a list of student and faculty contact info to accepted students grouped by their topic of interest, and "sexual orientation and gender identity" and "diversity and inclusion" are two topics- feel free to PM if you want the info. It's nice to see that so many people here feel their schools are inclusive, but I'd imagine that talking to LGBT individuals at those schools would be the most helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
At ISU there is a "Spectrum Club" that is open to LGBTQ (and allies) vet students, as well as a LGBTQ club that covers the entire campus. Although I personally am not LGBTQ, I have several classmates and friends who are... from what they've told me, they feel that they've received nothing but support both in school and around Ames in general. There's also a couple of faculty members on the spectrum. You'd be in good company if you choose to apply here!
Iowa is one I've been thinking about as an OOS school choice especially with their large animal areas of study.

The AAVMC does surveys every so often, though it looks like they don't release school-specific information. Here's some info about a survey on diversity and here's some info on an LGBT-specific survey. This is a bit outdated (from 2011), but here's a chart that shows schools' discrimination policies and whether or not employers can legally discriminate against LGBT individuals in that state.

That last link is from Broad Spectrum at UC Davis. VOICE is another group to look into at vet schools. I'm sure if you contacted officers in those groups, they'd be happy to answer some questions for you. Most schools have some sort of diversity chair, and I'm sure they could put you in touch with students who'd be willing to talk to you as well. U Wisconsin sent a list of student and faculty contact info to accepted students grouped by their topic of interest, and "sexual orientation and gender identity" and "diversity and inclusion" are two topics- feel free to PM if you want the info. It's nice to see that so many people here feel their schools are inclusive, but I'd imagine that talking to LGBT individuals at those schools would be the most helpful.
Thanks panda

I am a transgender man, starting at Michigan State this fall. I am more than willing to talk to you about my experiences applying and interviewing, and selecting a school that would meet my needs.

I think any vet school/college campus will be LGBT friendly. Even here in Missouri, I haven't hesitated to be out on public holding my girlfriend's hand, etc. the LGVMA is a great resource, too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Community is quite small and most formal resources are on main campus, but I've never seen faculty or hospital anything but supportive at NCSU.
Since you left things have only improved. NCSU actively prioritizes diversity, including LGBTQ+ status. There are a ton of LGBTQ+ people here at the CVM (especially students). It's a weird combo, since we are in NC (not known for tolerance) and we have a robust Christian Veterinary Fellowship club (again, not known for tolerance), but all said it's pretty good. For vet med, NC State is really pretty diverse nowadays.

Since you left things have only improved. NCSU actively prioritizes diversity, including LGBTQ+ status. There are a ton of LGBTQ+ people here at the CVM (especially students). It's a weird combo, since we are in NC (not known for tolerance) and we have a robust Christian Veterinary Fellowship club (again, not known for tolerance), but all said it's pretty good. For vet med, NC State is really pretty diverse nowadays.
Ive heard good things about NC state but as OOS Its not a likely choice for me because their OOS selection is insane. I still hear very good things, I just know I don't have much of a chance getting in.

Penn & Philadelphia in general has a very wonderful LGTBQ community. We have openly gay professors, and I think we pride ourselves on diversity. I doubt anyone would care if you used the men's room even if you didn't pass (might be jealous of the significantly shorter line though ;)). It's a super liberal area in general.

Reactions: 3 users
Ive heard good things about NC state but as OOS Its not a likely choice for me because their OOS selection is insane. I still hear very good things, I just know I don't have much of a chance getting in.

Worth applying anyway IMO, if I only applied to the places I thought I had a chance...

I know someone who only applied to one island school. She didn't know that she was actually a pretty strong applicant overall...so she now has twice the debt she could have. All they can say is no.

UTCVM was pretty progressive in terms of LGBTQ - at least 1 prof there actually brought her case to the TN court system to fight for gay marriage there. That said, it's still in TN, which can be hit or miss outside of the school.

Champaign/Urbana is typically very LGBTQ friendly. So Illinois would be a good option for you. I am attending in the fall, and I'll be married to my fiance (a woman) by then so LGBTQ friendly was a factor I valued when deciding to attend.

Maybe I have my head up my ass since I am apparently a cisgender white female of the truest sort, but I want to tell you that even out here at OkSU, you would be treated well by the students and faculty, and that you would be okay out and about in Stillwater. But honestly, I don't know. I know I would have gone to bat for you - I'm sure someone would - but it might be much more of a struggle than I would like to acknowledge. I do still live in the state - maybe it's a coping mechanism. Pretend that 80% of the people are as open as I am and the other 20%, well, f em. But I bet the true ratio is not so kind.

If people cross OkSU off their list because they are scared of tornados, then crossing it off because you don't want to feel persecuted is definitely legitimate. I just wish it weren't an issue, here or anywhere.

Good luck!

FWIW, we do have several gay faculty, mostly females. It's not exactly broadcast, but it's known, and no one seems to care. Being trans may present more problems than being gay, though, as I'm sure you know. *shrug/sigh*

Worth applying anyway IMO, if I only applied to the places I thought I had a chance...

I know someone who only applied to one island school. She didn't know that she was actually a pretty strong applicant overall...so she now has twice the debt she could have. All they can say is no.
Published requirements are different from just perceiving a school to be competitive, though. As I recall, NCSU requires a 3.4 GPA both overall and prerequisite for OOS applicants, so I had to cross them off my list. Even if the OP was just referring to perceived competitiveness, I think it's worth taking a look at schools' average stats for accepted applicants to see how you stack up, especially if you're OOS and the school doesn't take many OOS applicants. If your stats are way below average, unless your application is excellent in other areas or you can afford to apply to tons of schools, it might be smart to reconsider (using a general "you" here, I'm aware it's a moot point for you specifically @hygebeorht).

Sorry, getting kind of off-topic there! For what it's worth, Kansas is obviously a very conservative state, but we do have some LGBT vet students and a fairly active LGVMA chapter. I believe main campus has even more resources, and there's a Pride festival in town next month. I went to a drag show on campus a couple months ago and was pleasantly surprised to see it almost sold out! It might be a different story if you venture into rural Kansas, though.

On a more serious note, CSU has a fairly active LGBT club that is pretty supportive and they do a lot of great activities. I know a fair number of people on the spectrum, including trans folks, who really like it here and are getting along very well. I should add though that I don't know anyone in the veterinary program specifically who is trans (the trans people I know are friends from undergrad or grad school), but I imagine their experiences would likely be similar to what would be expected in the veterinary program.

That being said, while CSU is very welcoming there is a good chunk of more conservative people here who may not be, which I think unfortunately is something you'll find in many places (granted, when you're the "conservative" school compared to UC Boulder that could mean basically anything lol). The school doesn't put up with hatred though, and generally responds severely and quickly to anyone doing hurtful/hateful/harmful things in my experience.

Yeah, from my time at CSU it was definitely the most conservative of the 3 schools I went to (FC is a pretty conservative place for a college town). Campus preachers, students trying to accost you w "surveys" about how you're going to hell (local megachurch tactic), etc. I also knew more conservative/"tolerant" but not accepting people there. But that's was four years ago, and while the vet school isn't on its own campus, it's its own thing.

I was worried NC would be worse. It's much better (mostly bc it has its own campus and a more liberal town). Of course published minimum grade requirements are the highest in the nation IIRC. Good point Lyra.

I've only been gone a year! Haha.

Nah, community is great in the vet campus, and if you stay in the right places around the triangle it's good, too. Still the south and you'll know it if you wander too far or into the wrong groups.

Nah, community is great in the vet campus, and if you stay in the right places around the triangle it's good, too. Still the south and you'll know it if you wander too far or into the wrong groups.
I know! It's crazy. The change over even the four years I've been here has been rapid. I think mostly because the school has been aggressively promoting more diversity, which sends a message that NCSU values all people, and diversity begets diversity. Each class seems more diverse than the previous - if you visit a place and can see yourself there, you're more likely to want to enroll. Not many people want to be only lonely in any respect.

It's not perfect, but it's a warm enough climate that previously-closeted students are comfortable coming out, which is telling I think. But I'm a hetero white girl, so I don't always experience the full picture (microaggressions, tone-deafness, etc.)

I think hyge actually just called you old.

Me, I would never do that! That's why I'm your favorite. ;):eggface:

- Don't judge by a book by it's cover, or in this case don't judge a school by it's state. Auburn is a wonderful school. I know of one transgender male now, and plenty who are in the LGBT community. The vet school even has a diversity club. Here is the facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/auVOICE/

- Don't judge by a book by it's cover, or in this case don't judge a school by it's state. Auburn is a wonderful school. I know of one transgender male now, and plenty who are in the LGBT community. The vet school even has a diversity club. Here is the facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/auVOICE/

I'm happy to hear from someone from the school. I know its a good school im just curious about the surroundings. I'm coming from working in a rural area in Florida.

Im just catching up on this thread. Was working my last week with my equine vet ( 2.5 years shes like family now) and saying goodbye to our clients before going to Gainesville to take courses next month. Sorry if I havent replied to anyone yet.

Maybe I have my head up my ass since I am apparently a cisgender white female of the truest sort, but I want to tell you that even out here at OkSU, you would be treated well by the students and faculty, and that you would be okay out and about in Stillwater. But honestly, I don't know. I know I would have gone to bat for you - I'm sure someone would - but it might be much more of a struggle than I would like to acknowledge. I do still live in the state - maybe it's a coping mechanism. Pretend that 80% of the people are as open as I am and the other 20%, well, f em. But I bet the true ratio is not so kind.

If people cross OkSU off their list because they are scared of tornados, then crossing it off because you don't want to feel persecuted is definitely legitimate. I just wish it weren't an issue, here or anywhere.

Good luck!

FWIW, we do have several gay faculty, mostly females. It's not exactly broadcast, but it's known, and no one seems to care. Being trans may present more problems than being gay, though, as I'm sure you know. *shrug/sigh*

I have many white cis female and male friends who are awesome, and you are too. I'd be more afraid of Tornados in Oklahoma than bigots on campus. Its great to get a good view of campuses through this thread.

Id be pretty scared in Kansas Tornado wise too but no ones safe from those. Im focusing on the schools who dont require a high minimum GPA for OOS students. I think after hearing from everyone I'm going to apply to the places that I can have a chance at getting in vs those who I may be judging too early. Im aiming for large animal and rural veterinary work. I know that's not the most profitable thing but Its what I feel a strong calling to.

I have many white cis female and male friends who are awesome, and you are too. I'd be more afraid of Tornados in Oklahoma than bigots on campus. Its great to get a good view of campuses through this thread.

Id be pretty scared in Kansas Tornado wise too but no ones safe from those. Im focusing on the schools who dont require a high minimum GPA for OOS students. I think after hearing from everyone I'm going to apply to the places that I can have a chance at getting in vs those who I may be judging too early. Im aiming for large animal and rural veterinary work. I know that's not the most profitable thing but Its what I feel a strong calling to.
You know, of all the things to worry about in Stillwater, tornados actually aren't one of them.
Stillwater, Oklahoma Tornadoes (1875-Present) contains a history of all documented tornados in Stillwater and there's been like 3 or 4 in the 2000's, and they're all little ones. Moore, of course, is a tornado magnet, but Stilly really doesn't have a problem tornado wise!

I'm happy to hear from someone from the school. I know its a good school im just curious about the surroundings. I'm coming from working in a rural area in Florida.

Auburn would be great for you then! It is the perfect size town, with a rural feel to it. The school itself is also very agricultural based with great equine and farm animal program, as well as a brand new small animal hospital that is top notch.

Auburn would be great for you then! It is the perfect size town, with a rural feel to it. The school itself is also very agricultural based with great equine and farm animal program, as well as a brand new small animal hospital that is top notch.
Im hoping with my low ( 3.0-3.2) gpa I can make up for it with GRE/large experience divesity and all around application while applying to them.

University of Minnesota seemed to have great LGBTQ resources (this came up during my interview) and stated how important inclusion was to them. There were "no hate" posters in the vet school when I toured. One of many reasons I loved their program. Minneapolis also seems like an incredibly diverse city with a lot going on. My SO and I have a lot of friends in Minneapolis who play in bands and they all agree.

Agree re: UMN. VERY accepting environment at the school, and in Minneapolis.

Outstate MN is not the same, however. Just something to be aware of.