LGBTQ, what's the purpose of a applicant thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey.King

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, lets me first start off by saying this is not a hate thread, nor am I in anyway trying to come off as disrespectful to that group of people.

But I always wondered, what's the point of having that thread? Unless you want to talk about any "struggles" you went through growing up because of what you identify as, why would you include it on your application if it doesn't ask? Why even put it out there at all? In my opinion, that's your own personal business and there's no point in you throwing it out there unless your confident and proud of who you are. Personally, I feel the same way the "Black Premeds around" thread. I know it's a bit off topic, but I would like to share what I think of it without making a new thread here.

Why does it matter if there are Black premed or doctors around? There are such things as maybe most black people simply do not wish to pursue that field. All my life I've met very few blacks, whether they were my schoolmates or adults, who had a dream of becoming a doctor. Especially with URMs having a slightly easier chance of getting into medical school, if they don't take the opportunity I don't see why it's a issue that needs to be broadcasted.

Feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong, and share your personal thoughts about if. Especially if you belong in one of those two groups.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't see a need where special communities of applicants, many of whom have been exposed to virulent hatred or rejection, might have specific questions or would like the advice of others who have already had to go through this process?

Really? You don't get get this??

Reactions: 30 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To you think it is appropriate for people to interact with others who have had or who are experiencing a similar situation? Are you a troll or are you merely clueless?

Reactions: 8 users
What does it matter to you? There are plenty of threads on this site for people who share common experiences: nontrad threads, hobby-based threads, political threads, etc. I find it telling that out of thousands of threads, the two threads you singled out as unnecessary happen to be two threads intended to pool resources and information for members of historically oppressed groups.

You say that your intention is not to be disrespectful, but how is it not disrespectful to assert that threads for minority communities have no purpose on this site, when much more frivolous threads are created every day?

Reactions: 7 users
If the people find those threads helpful, what's it to you?

To answer your question, threads like that can help applicants find out which schools are LGBTQ friendly, which ones are not, sharing how a cycle went for an applicant who was "out" on paper, etc. If you fail to see how comparing yourself to similar applicants is unhelpful, then I'm sorry to say you come off as quite unintelligent. If you're an applicant with a 497/3.5, are you going to ask for advice from an applicant with a 515/4.0?

Reactions: 5 users
lol, the smell of white, male privilege is wonderful this afternoon.
If it doesn't apply to you and you're not interested, ignore it. Based on this post, perhaps reading some of the posts will educate you further on the subjects.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't see a need where special communities of applicants, many of whom have been exposed to virulent hatred or rejection, might have specific questions or would like the advice of others who have already had to go through this process?

Really? You don't get get this??
Well if i get it I don't think I would have made a thread about it.

Um ok..

To you think it is appropriate for people to interact with others who have had or who are experiencing a similar situation? Are you a troll or are you merely clueless?
I have no opinion on the matter. I just don't see the point of making a thread dedicated to it. Individual threads in my opinion are better because they are specific to the individuals needs since each applicant is a case by case situation.

What does it matter to you? There are plenty of threads on this site for people who share common experiences: nontrad threads, hobby-based threads, political threads, etc. I find it telling that out of thousands of threads, the two threads you singled out as unnecessary happen to be two threads intended to pool resources and information for members of historically oppressed groups.

You say that your intention is not to be disrespectful, but how is it not disrespectful to assert that threads for minority communities have no purpose on this site, when much more frivolous threads are created every day?
Well for one, I only singled those threads out because they made me want to ask these questions in the first place so yeah..
I never did say they had no purpose on this site, why would I suggest that if theres an entire section dedicated to one of the groups I asked about? And I had no intention of being disrespectful, nor do I feel that I was. Therefore, if you perceive it as being disrespectful theres nothing I can really do about that since I already said I wasn't.

If the people find those threads helpful, what's it to you?

To answer your question, threads like that can help applicants find out which schools are LGBTQ friendly, which ones are not, sharing how a cycle went for an applicant who was "out" on paper, etc. If you fail to see how comparing yourself to similar applicants is unhelpful, then I'm sorry to say you come off as quite unintelligent. If you're an applicant with a 497/3.5, are you going to ask for advice from an applicant with a 515/4.0?
Well I just told you what it is to me, which is why I made it, why don't people seem to understand that? And thanks for actually answering the question. And I don't see how comparing yourself to other applicants is helpful because if each applicant is a case by case scenario, how does that really help anything? As ive read somewhere on this site before, more than qualified applicants have been rejected because of things they did years ago in their past, but I doubt they thought it would come back to haunt them, just an example here. Here's another
You can't compare yourself to your peers.

lol, the smell of white, male privilege is wonderful this afternoon.
If it doesn't apply to you and you're not interested, ignore it. Based on this post, perhaps reading some of the posts will educate you further on the subjects.
But im black and am considered to be impoverished, so shouldn't the smell of white privilege be coming from you by assuming such things? And if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have made the thread, and I came here to get educated on these subjects, but it's hard to do when everyone is throwing their own personal opinions in the matter rather than answering the question.

Honestly, you all make it seem like this is some type of hate or rant thread.

But im black and am considered to be impoverished, so shouldn't the smell of white privilege be coming from you by assuming such things?
BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um ok..

I have no opinion on the matter. I just don't see the point of making a thread dedicated to it. Individual threads in my opinion are better because they are specific to the individuals needs since each applicant is a case by case situation.

Well for one, I only singled those threads out because they made me want to ask these questions in the first place so yeah..
I never did say they had no purpose on this site, why would I suggest that if theres an entire section dedicated to one of the groups I asked about? And I had no intention of being disrespectful, nor do I feel that I was. Therefore, if you perceive it as being disrespectful theres nothing I can really do about that since I already said I wasn't.

Well I just told you what it is to me, which is why I made it, why don't people seem to understand that? And thanks for actually answering the question. And I don't see how comparing yourself to other applicants is helpful because if each applicant is a case by case scenario, how does that really help anything? As ive read somewhere on this site before, more than qualified applicants have been rejected because of things they did years ago in their past, but I doubt they thought it would come back to haunt them, just an example here. Here's another

But im black and am considered to be impoverished, so shouldn't the smell of white privilege be coming from you by assuming such things? And if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have made the thread, and I came here to get educated on these subjects, but it's hard to do when everyone is throwing their own personal opinions in the matter rather than answering the question.

So you're black but met very few black people?...

Lol black people don't refer to themselves as "blacks" as you put earlier...

Troll post 1/10

Bye.

Reactions: 7 users

Um ok..

Like Breezy said, look at the thread to see why it is useful.

It pools together resources, answers commonly asked questions, is a place to bond, and can give advice to applicants (there are schools where LGBT individuals will feel uncomfortable and it's good to get a heads up). I would also not want to be the only gay in the village, so I like knowing that the schools I'm considering have a good LGBT community

Um ok..

People are responding "like this is some type of hate or rant thread" because many hate and rant threads have started off the way this thread did. In case you are not trolling and really are curious about the purpose of the LGBTQ thread, I encourage you to read through it! LGBTQ applicants, while individuals with different lives, may share some life experiences that are not familiar to straight, cis people. Examples: coming out in medical school, listing LGBTQ volunteerism on applications, facing discrimination in school, dealing with homophobic coworkers, etc. I have not read through the black premeds/doctors thread, but I assume that thread contains similar information and experiences geared toward helping and encouraging black premeds. Of course, this information will not apply to every LGBTQ applicant or every black applicant, but when you look or feel differently than most people pursuing medicine, sometimes it is nice to have an online community of people to support you.

TL;DR: The general purpose of minority-specific threads is to provide relevant information, discuss potential obstacles, and participate in a supportive community that may or may not exist in real life.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can think of a million better things to do than creating a toxic thread on sdn... This is just pathetic...

So you're black but met very few black people?...

Lol black people don't refer to themselves as "blacks" as you put earlier...

Troll post 1/10

Bye.
Well if you consider majority of the people in Baltimore which is a preodminantly black city to be a few black people then yes. And my black teachers refer to black people as blacks, so what are you basing this assumption on? And I guess you're right, most of the black people I know refer to each other as "ni**as". Yes, claim this is a troll all you want but this is genuinely the truth. Almost all the black teens and adults without careers I know call themselves and each other "ni**as". And what the heck? Figures in AA civil rights documenatries and speeches whether they're widely known or not have reffered to their race using the term blacks. Even the name of the damn thread I reffered to was titled "Black premeds/doctors around" Who rates a troll post? Bye. Please do better next time

People are responding "like this is some type of hate or rant thread" because many hate and rant threads have started off the way this thread did. In case you are not trolling and really are curious about the purpose of the LGBTQ thread, I encourage you to read through it! LGBTQ applicants, while individuals with different lives, may share some life experiences that are not familiar to straight, cis people. Examples: coming out in medical school, listing LGBTQ volunteerism on applications, facing discrimination in school, dealing with homophobic coworkers, etc. I have not read through the black premeds/doctors thread, but I assume that thread contains similar information and experiences geared toward helping and encouraging black premeds. Of course, this information will not apply to every LGBTQ applicant or every black applicant, but when you look or feel differently than most people pursuing medicine, sometimes it is nice to have an online community of people to support you.

TL;DR: The general purpose of minority-specific threads is to provide relevant information, discuss potential obstacles, and participate in a supportive community that may or may not exist in real life.
Well you won't be seeing a hate or rant post from me, because this was genuine curiosity. And I will read through them. Honestly, I just generalized my thoughts from the first page and what others have posted in this thread.

I can think of a million better things to do than creating a toxic thread on sdn... This is just pathetic...
You can think of a million things better to do than creating a "toxic" thread on sdn... And it's pathetic... And yet you took the time to read through it, and yet you responded to the thread? You can think of a million things better to do, but maybe you should try them.

@bee17 I appreciate the fact that this is one of the only 2 answers on this thread that have not been fueled by ignorance. And please people, stop doing that. I have said in a number of different ways that this is genuine curiosity. I spend too much free time lurking on the site to be considered a troll. And at least to me none of my posts, even before this thread, do I consider to be a troll. It's like you all want me to say I hate the LGBTQ and black community.

Last edited:
Hahahaha

This cannot be a real thread. If you lack the intellect to understand why people solicit the help and advice of other people similar to them, then you can't be taken seriously. This isn't even a LGBT thing or a black thing. You've effectively told all of SDN that you don't understand why people group together based on similar experiences.

Hell, you shouldn't even see a need for this site then.

Last edited:
Hahahaha

This cannot be a real thread. If you lack the intellect to understand why people solicit the help and advice of other people similar to them, then you can't be taken seriously. This isn't even a LGBT thing or a black thing. You've effectively told all of SDN that you don't understand why people group together based on similar experiences.

Hell, you shouldn't even see a need for this site then.
Hmmm, yeah ok. And let me directly say it then. I am hereby trying to effectively tell all of SDN that I don't understand why people of a smaller community come together to compare themselves to each other, when judging by the few number of applicants that the average medical accepts, isn't going to help them in anyway since each applicant is judged by a case by case scenario. And I hereby came here today at 4:40 PM, to create a thread to see if people could give me answers to my genuine curiously, but instead I was faced with troll accusations and only 2 people who genuinely answered my questions.

Hmmm, yeah ok. And let me directly say it then. I am hereby trying to effectively tell all of SDN that I don't understand why people of a smaller community come together to compare themselves to each other, when judging by the few number of applicants that the average medical accepts, isn't going to help them in anyway since each applicant is judged by a case by case scenario. And I hereby came here today at 4:40 PM, to create a thread to see if people could give me answers to my genuine curiously, but instead I was faced with troll accusations and only 2 people who genuinely answered my questions.

Well you even pointed out yourself, "Especially with URMs having a slightly easier chance of getting into medical school", thereby acknowledging that there are similarities/trend within smaller communities. So why not further consult my group? Sure there is some degree of students being accepted on a case by case basis but let's not pretend like there aren't trends in the app process too across different groups whatever they may be.

I wasn't trying to be completely rude but it really was a dumb question that you could have reasoned on your own.

Well you even pointed out yourself, "Especially with URMs having a slightly easier chance of getting into medical school", thereby acknowledging that there are similarities/trend within smaller communities. So why not further consult my group? Sure there is some degree of students being accepted on a case by case basis but let's not pretend like there aren't trends in the app process too across different groups whatever they may be.

I wasn't trying to be completely rude but it really was a dumb question that you could have reasoned on your own.
When I said that statement, as far as I know, URM's only ave a slightly easier chance due to affirmative action. So simply because of what race they were born into. So to me, I think "Further consult my group for what? We marked the same race on the paper, what's the big deal?" It might be a dumb question, but again, I came here for answers. But I do see your point. I apologize to everyone for the misunderstandings I have caused, but again, this is not a troll thread.

As a black pre-med, the reason why I have only met one other black pre-med at my small university is because we've always been told at some time in our lives that black people aren't smart enough to be in fields like medicine. That we deserve only be flipping burgers at out local McDonald's. Majority of family doesn't even talk to me or my parents because we chose to go into higher education. I can literally count on one hand of how many people in my gigantic family that have high school diplomas. They think we see ourselves as better than them although in reality, that's not what we think.

So the reason for these threads is so that people who fall into that category have a community and a sense of inspiration. Seeing people with a similar background gives us the extra motivation to pursue our true career goals. As someone who also comes from a black, impoverish background, I thought that this would be an easy concept for you to understand. But at least you can be educated by the SDN members replying to thread now...

When I said that statement, as far as I know, URM's only ave a slightly easier chance due to affirmative action. So simply because of what race they were born into. So to me, I think "Further consult my group for what? We marked the same race on the paper, what's the big deal?" It might be a dumb question, but again, I came here for answers. But I do see your point. I apologize to everyone for the misunderstandings I have caused, but again, this is not a troll thread.
Have you ever wanted to hang out with people that understood you? You know, the kind of people that you can just chill with and know they're on the level with you? For people from underrepresented communities or backgrounds, such threads serve to provide such an environment. It's hard enough finding people that get what applying to medical school is like, let alone applying to medical school while simultaneously having whatever background is in question.

Reactions: 2 users
Since you are a black male, you should be the first one to understand why threads like you mention exist. Don't you want a sense of solidarity and a sense of comfort, knowing that there are other people like you going through this extremely competitive process? And since you even stated that you don't know many blacks who want to become doctors (which is not totally true, there are many I know going into medicine), wouldn't you want to talk with those people about your experiences, knowing that it may be easier to connect with them than others?
This also goes for the LGBTQ thread. Being able to read that thread has helped me realize that there are others out there who have the same questions as me and thus have helped me feel more comfortable with the process. Maybe you should rethink about this and get back to us (especially before you apply).

Last edited:
Okay, I'll bite.

Hey everyone, lets me first start off by saying this is not a hate thread, nor am I in anyway trying to come off as disrespectful to that group of people.

If you have to start off a thread this way, please don't be surprised when people think that you're about to come off as disrespectful. It has a "no homo" ring to it. If you truly want to be respectful, you shouldn't need a disclaimer.

But I always wondered, what's the point of having that thread? (1) Unless you want to talk about any "struggles" you went through growing up because of what you identify as, why would you include it on your application if it doesn't ask? (2) Why even put it out there at all? (3) In my opinion, that's your own personal business and there's no point in you throwing it out there unless your confident and proud of who you are. (4) Personally, I feel the same way the "Black Premeds around" thread. I know it's a bit off topic, but I would like to share what I think of it without making a new thread here.(5)

(1) Because a lot of what I do in college involves being LGBTQ. My leadership, my awards, my clinical experience, etc, all involves it. And I have been told many, many times that being out and proud means that I can never hold down a professional job. Now that I'm in a more academic, welcoming environment I've become more sure of myself, but there's always going to be the part of me that fears that my interviewer is of the same crop as my parents and writes me off. Having affirmation that others have successfully gone through this process before helps me to wade into the fray confidently.
(2) First of all, maybe I will talk about my struggles. Maybe I won't. It's probably a good question to pose to other LGBTQ applicants. Second, many applications do ask what kind of diversity I can bring to the table. Finally, ALL applications ask why I want to be a doctor -- and maybe being LGBTQ has helped me along that path.
(3) "It" is an integral part of my life. It's perfectly normal for straight people to share basic details about their relationships, and my girlfriend is too adorable to not talk about all the time.
(4) I am absolutely confident and proud of who I am. That's why I'm comfortable "throwing it out there." I will not be silent about an integral part of my life so you can be more comfortable. I also did not ask for your opinion. I don't mind addressing respectful questions from ignorant but genuinely curious people, but the moment you start inserting your "opinion" about how I shouldn't be "throwing my personal business out there," you're no longer respectful.
(5) I doubt the black premeds care.

Why does it matter if there are Black premed or doctors around? (5) There are such things as maybe most black people simply do not wish to pursue that field. All my life I've met very few blacks, whether they were my schoolmates or adults, who had a dream of becoming a doctor. Especially with URMs having a slightly easier chance of getting into medical school, if they don't take the opportunity I don't see why it's a issue that needs to be broadcasted.

Feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong, and share your personal thoughts about if. Especially if you belong in one of those two groups.

(5) We're getting off topic here, so I'm just going to apply to LGBTQ people (since I thought this was the purpose of the thread). It matters because LGBTQ people have specific health needs, and if none of the physicians in the world have those needs then they are unlikely to be addressed adequately. Also, it wouldn't bother you at all if an entire group of people was just left out of a profession?

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of it. You're soapboaxing, not looking for genuine discussion.

Next time you decide to vent your opinions on a topic that has very little to do about you, I suggest the least you can do is read through the thread in question so you can be resourceful and answer your own questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Closing thread before it goes downhill. African American and LGBTQ students do not need to defend their rights any more than a white male needs to defend his rights. This kind of divisive discussion will no longer be permitted in the premed forums.

Two things all premeds should understand:
  1. A long history of discrimination against minority applicants has been very harmful to the fabric and unity of the nation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that structural and institutional discrimination remains; we all must work together to overcome it.
  2. The medical profession must provide our nation a diverse workforce of physicians. As physicians we can and should all be culturally competent and aware of our inherent biases. However, a physician that comes from a specific community will almost always have a better understanding of that community than someone from outside it. This fact is especially important in the fields of primary care (FM, ER, IM), obstetrics, general surgery, and psychiatry.
The academic community has an obligation to build a diverse physician workforce. Medical students are not selected by LizzyM score alone.

Reactions: 26 users
Status
Not open for further replies.