SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Liability regarding supervising someone to state board

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by st2205, Nov 16, 2017.

1. st2205

st2205 Attending 10+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I’m likely going to be supervising another physician who currently holds a probationary license. The supervision is simply to the state board and encompasses review of charts to make sure everything is ok. State claims there’s no liability for this (as I’m supervising him to the board and not supervising him under my license), but I want to know for certain and thought about reaching out to a malpractice attorney to clarify. I could certainly see an argument being raised that I’d have liability as I’m supervising the ability to practice medicine to the board.

Anyone with any knowledge on this?

wolfvgang22 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GroverPsychMD

GroverPsychMD Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Ask a plaintiff lawyer...

4. There is always liability if you are associated in any way with a case and someone wants to sue. it is just different degrees of risk and it depends on who has the deepest pockets. The lawyers suing the hotel in Vegas where the shooter had his room is a good example of that principle.

5. Psychotic

Psychotic 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2013
    where the sun do shine
    Why does the person have a probationary license? I ask because I don't exactly know what that is, or why someone would have one...

6. boogaaloo

boogaaloo Banned Banned Account on Hold

Nov 13, 2017
    If you are only reviewing his charts, you are not "supervising" him. You will have no tort liability.

7. GroverPsychMD

Sep 12, 2010
    Really? What if theres a mp and they ask why this doc didnt intervene with lower than standard of care when he reviewed the cht.

Lawyers are wily...

8. GroverPsychMD

Sep 12, 2010
    "The supervision is simply to the state board and encompasses review of charts to make sure everything is ok. "
    What are you looking for as ok?