liberal arts major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i am a liberal arts college grad with no real
> science background at
> all.
> let's say i was interested in becoming a doctor -
> what would the path to
> medical school entail?
> some science classes, or just going straight into
> studying for the
> mcats? i haven't a clue where to begin, or what sort
> of prcess i am
> looking at.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take the classes detailed on the following page the premed section: at college.
as prereqs to get into medical school. These are also important for the MCAT. Also, you should get a good MCAT review book early on, such as the one featured on http://www.medicalstudent.net

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

> science background at
> all.
> what would the path to
> medical school entail?
> studying for the
> of prcess i am
> looking at.
Thank you!

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the good doctor and say that this will never, ever happen. You should just become a barista.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Solid 15 year necrobump

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the good doctor and say that this will never, ever happen. You should just become a barista.

MedWonk, you bloody twonk!

Wtf dude. Why the necrobumps?

Reactions: 1 users
@touchpause13 , do you wanna stick a flag in this one and make it the unofficial social (insert something here) thread?

Oh oh like an unofficial social homo thread????

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh oh like an unofficial social homo thread????

:D:D:D:D:D

Dude I ain't got nothing but love for the gay community.
My first roommate in college was gay, and I was kind of weirded out because I never knew an openly gay person before - by the end of the year we were crazy tight though. College = growth.

That's what college is for buddy.
Glad you had a good experience :thumbup:

Mostly I just want to geek out over the newest season of ru Pauls drag race lol

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what college is for buddy.
Glad you had a good experience :thumbup:

Mostly I just want to geek out over the newest season of ru Pauls drag race lol

Oh god dammit no :/
I can't stand that show.
lulz

Haha it's okay my husband is not a fan either. Weirdo.

There arent that many options for good gay tv. Although i like to say that orange is the new black is like the L word, if the L word didn't have a ****ty plot

There arent that many options for good gay tv. Although i like to say that orange is the new black is like the L word, if the L word didn't have a ****** plot

Okay srsly wtf happened to queer eye for the straight guy?

I have no damn idea. That was a decent show too.

There arent that many options for good gay tv. Although i like to say that orange is the new black is like the L word, if the L word didn't have a ****** plot

I thought you were a woman

> science background at
> all.
> what would the path to
> medical school entail?
> studying for the
> of prcess i am
> looking at.
Thank you!

The MCAT is changing next year. It use to be general and organic chemistry, physics, and biology - simple! If nothing else AAMC's website should have that information. AAMC also partnered with Khan Academy so you should find out if the Khan Academy classes (which appear to be free and online) will suffice or if you need to take actual college courses to prepare. I would guess the later, but wouldn't ASSUME. Also, it's called the MCAT (not MCATs). Not plural. Good luck!

The MCAT is changing next year. It use to be general and organic chemistry, physics, and biology - simple! If nothing else AAMC's website should have that information. AAMC also partnered with Khan Academy so you should find out if the Khan Academy classes (which appear to be free and online) will suffice or if you need to take actual college courses to prepare. I would guess the later, but wouldn't ASSUME. Also, it's called the MCAT (not MCATs). Not plural. Good luck!

Gauss...look at how long ago the post you quoted was from...I don't think he's listening lol

Thank you! MCATs bothers me SO much!!!

I think these MCAT changes are a laugh.
"Well, we want a more humanistic and sympathetic pool of applicants, so we're going to introduce elements of psychology into the MCAT, and medical schools will phase it in as a pre-req"

NEWS FLASH: emotion, sympathy, and compassion are not learned in the classroom. What happens when someone with borderline personality disorder beasts their psych courses and the MCAT. Is this person tacit enough and well-mannered to be a physician?

I think these MCAT changes are a laugh.
"Well, we want a more humanistic and sympathetic pool of applicants, so we're going to introduce elements of psychology into the MCAT, and medical schools will phase it in as a pre-req"

NEWS FLASH: emotion, sympathy, and compassion are not learned in the classroom. What happens when someone with borderline personality disorder beasts their psych courses and the MCAT. Is this person tacit enough and well-mannered to be a physician?
These intro classes aren't very dense anyway. I'm not sure what they expect people to gain. The reason must be that they are basically forcing psych and sociology to become pre-reqs. Again, there's not much to gain from an intro psych class.

I never found psych courses to make me feel empathic... If you want to go that route then have people take like African American studies or Indian studies or women's studies

> science background at
> all.
> what would the path to
> medical school entail?
> studying for the
> of prcess i am
> looking at.
Thank you!

I was you two years ago. I graduated with a degree in anthropology and while I was working as a barista I decided I wanted to go back to school. I initially wanted to become a midwife but by the end of my first semester I decided that I really wanted to be an md.

What you should do to prepare really depends on where you want to go, but most places only require a few courses prior to med school. These typically are two semesters of: bio, chem, organic chem, and physics plus all of the labs. There are some highly recommended classes as well: biochem,genetics, micro, comparative anatomy, evolution, anatomy, and physiology. You can do what I did and enroll if all of the prereqs at one time, so like a DIY post bacc or you can choose to enroll in a university that offers a program.

As for MCAT prep, just take a class. I highly recommend TPR. But that is just my opinion.

And keep in mind, liberal arts students typically do better on the MCAT than science majors bc they are better "readers" and tend to be better critical prob solvers. Your liberal arts background should actually help considering the 2015 changes.

Good luck on the career change. :)

I was you two years ago. I graduated with a degree in anthropology and while I was working as a barista I decided I wanted to go back to school. I initially wanted to become a midwife but by the end of my first semester I decided that I really wanted to be an md.

What you should do to prepare really depends on where you want to go, but most places only require a few courses prior to med school. These typically are two semesters of: bio, chem, organic chem, and physics plus all of the labs. There are some highly recommended classes as well: biochem,genetics, micro, comparative anatomy, evolution, anatomy, and physiology. You can do what I did and enroll if all of the prereqs at one time, so like a DIY post bacc or you can choose to enroll in a university that offers a program.

As for MCAT prep, just take a class. I highly recommend TPR. But that is just my opinion.

And keep in mind, liberal arts students typically do better on the MCAT than science majors bc they are better "readers" and tend to be better critical prob solvers. Your liberal arts background should actually help considering the 2015 changes.

I think OP became a doctor by now... iirc

So, since at the behest of @touchpause13 this is a social thread, I have to put it out there, that there is a woman and I was absolutely devastated when I found out that she was gay. Especially because she's married to that unfunny bitch Ellen. :(

Don't talk **** about Ellen!

Don't talk **** about Ellen!

I don't like Ellen. I think she is prolific but for being talentless. Like Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake. She's also taken my one true love and put a ring on it.

I don't like Ellen. I think she is prolific but for being talentless. Like Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake. She's also taken my one true love and put a ring on it.
There's also a hoard of lesbians you would have to battle to get to your love. She is fine.

There's also a hoard of lesbians you would have to battle to get to your love. She is fine.

I wanted to go to UCLA so I could set up shop in Beverly Hills and date her. Graduate top of my class from UCLA, then in the la times when they mention my greatness, Portia would see that I cite her as my endless source of inspiration, and she would come running to me and away from that talentless comedienne with the John Denver haircut.

With all due respect, brosef, liberal arts majors never make it into med school. Not even me.

Lucky post #777. Woohoo!
Lebron-Awkward-High-Five-Fail.gif

No? K...

When I get to 1000 I'll
Have to find a gif of Richard Sherman going off about Crabtree. lololol

It took a while to realize that it was a human face eating a bacon. I thought it was a dog.

@Lya, is there anything...erm...different....that you notice about the human face?

@Lya, is there anything...erm...different....that you notice about the human face?

Nah, I think he's fine. He just needed some bacon after eating two poop hot dogs.

This thread has been closed. Derailing threads or generally being unproductive is not accepted, as stated in the TOS.

• This is a pre-health professional forum and professional behavior and treatment of other users is expected.
  • Users' posts are expected to contribute to the threads and discussions in which they take place.
  • There are social threads and even an entire forum for posting random thoughts or unrelated content.
  • A consistent pattern of not fulfilling these basic expectations will result in action, up to and including banning from the site in accordance with the Terms of Service which all members agree to at the time of registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.