License and DEA number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutropeniaboy

Blasted ENT Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Generally how long did it take you to obtain your state licenses and DEA numbers? Does it really cost $550 to get a DEA license? Geesh...

Members don't see this ad.

Guys,

Generally how long did it take you to obtain your state licenses and DEA numbers? Does it really cost $550 to get a DEA license? Geesh...

If I recall, it took me about 3 months... And yes, it was that expensive. Wait until you see the application costs for privileges at a hospital. Those go on upward of $500-$1000 and takes about 6 months.

Guys,

My Colorado license only took 3 months, my TX license took 6 months. CO cost $440, TX cost $800.

Yep, DEA bites as well.

My hospital recruited me so they really pushed my credentials through pretty fast, but the other hospitals I've got priveleges at took about 6 months.

Worst part of everything is all the ridiculous paperwork you have to do to get contracts with the myriad 3rd party payors. That's what sucked to me the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
my California license took 8 months, 800$. DEA website sais 10-15 days - pure lie, mine took 3 months. 550$. Dealing with both offices be ready to deal with incompetent, non professional, mostly rude people, so if you have a secretary in Department they usually have pretty good experience to deal witht these staff.

I would advise working on your state license 8-12 months in advance of practicing. I remember starting my Texas app in July/August, then having to fly down to Austin on a Monday and flew back to Iowa the same day. Cost too much, took about 5-6 mos. Hospital privs cost about 300/per, also took about 3-4 mos to get. All in all, a painful process.

Luckily, joining a partner meant that I could see patients and bill "incident two (or is it 'incident to')" while my insurance creds slowly came through.

I would advise working on your state license 8-12 months in advance of practicing. I remember starting my Texas app in July/August, then having to fly down to Austin on a Monday and flew back to Iowa the same day. Cost too much, took about 5-6 mos. Hospital privs cost about 300/per, also took about 3-4 mos to get. All in all, a painful process.

Luckily, joining a partner meant that I could see patients and bill "incident two (or is it 'incident to')" while my insurance creds slowly came through.

I am lucky in the same way, The Throat, because of the income guarantee I'm on, I'll see anyone with any insurance status simply because for this year it won't matter and it will help me build a referral base. It would really bite if you couldn't accept patients because you weren't on insurance contracts yet.

Medicare takes up to 6 months--I'm still waiting--but at least they're retroactive.