refreshingred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I will be quiting residency after my internship (probably for one year) and then reapplying for another residency. In the meantime I want to work. What is the quickest way to get your license? Someone told me that doing locum tenems work is a quick way to do this. Can someone recommend one that would work with a doc that doesn't have a license?

Also, can you apply for a license while still in internship? Or do you have to wait until you are done with internship before you can apply?

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
In most states you can have a full license with 1 year PG training and a passing score on step 3. Pretty much everyone I've talked to about this has applied for their license once they got their step 3 score back. You need to find out what the requirements are in your state. I recommend that you contact your state's licensing board.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Yep - as noted above, you'll need a full and unrestricted license and possibly your DEA number (useful at the very least). Each state requires a different amount of post-graduate education, a minimum of 1 year, and max of 3 (usually reserved for IMGs). Pass Step 3 and complete the required number of years and you should be set.

Check out the link below for your state's requirements...

http://www.fsmb.org

Future Doc B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Kimberli Cox said:
Yep - as noted above, you'll need a full and unrestricted license and possibly your DEA number (useful at the very least). Each state requires a different amount of post-graduate education, a minimum of 1 year, and max of 3 (usually reserved for IMGs). Pass Step 3 and complete the required number of years and you should be set.

Check out the link below for your state's requirements...

http://www.fsmb.org
Are there any states that have reciprocity with regards to medical licenses?
Is there a link available that has this information?

Thanks

kinetic

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Actually, to clarify, I don't believe that the FSMB deals with licensure. If you google for your individual state licensing requirements, you should get an idea of what is needed to qualify for a license. Generally, the license is distributed by the Department of State, which is also where you apply for licensure.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
You're right - the FSMB (Federation of State Medical Boards) does not issue the licenses themselves. The link was only provided for information to applicants on their state's (and any other state) requirements for licensure.

The licenses are issued by the state (ie, mine was issued by the PA State Medical Board) and DEA #s are federally issued.

ptolemy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
kinetic said:
Actually, to clarify, I don't believe that the FSMB deals with licensure. If you google for your individual state licensing requirements, you should get an idea of what is needed to qualify for a license. Generally, the license is distributed by the Department of State, which is also where you apply for licensure.
you can get this off the fsmb website, though. go to the state boards link, then the board directory. It has links to the majority of the state medical boards websites.