SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

License question for anyone who is already licensed

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by canthacklt, May 27, 2008.

  1. canthacklt

    canthacklt Junior Member 5+ Year Member

    Jul 19, 2004
    Hi guys - quick question for those of you that are already licensed. I passed the WREB a few months ago but I'm doing my residency in a state that doesn't accept it for licensure. I'm planning to eventually settle down in Oregon or Washington afterwards. Would you see any advantage whatsoever in applying for licensure in either of those two states now, while I'm doing my residency in another state (or is this even possible)? The reason this even crossed my mind is that I've heard you can get licensed in a state if you've had your license in another state for 5+ years. I thought it might be better to have 3 years under my belt once my residency is complete, rather than starting from scratch. Any opinions?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. OceanDMD

    OceanDMD Rather be fishing 7+ Year Member

    Oct 25, 2006

    Every state is different, what you heard about being licensed for practicing 5 years in another state is not necessarily true. For instance, in Delaware, regardless of what boards you have passed and how many years you have worked, you are required to take a clinical exam for licensure. I think I would just make sure you are licensed a month or two before you end your residency. That way you dont have to wait for a license to work.
  4. DrJeff

    DrJeff Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Nov 30, 2000
    Brooklyn, ct
    Also look at the renewal policy/renewal date for the state your considering. If there's a "large" Continuing Ed requirement you might want to wait until closer to practice time, or if the renewal date is based on your birthday and your birthday is sometime just before your residency ends than you might want to hold off depending on the license fee in that State.
  5. ItsGavinC

    ItsGavinC Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Oct 7, 2001
    It IS possible for you to get a license while completing your residency in another state, but all of opinions expressed by the above two posters contain some good food for thought.
  6. nuts

    nuts 2+ Year Member

    Mar 23, 2007
    I passed WREB and started practicing in Oregon last year. They only require you to pass the WREB and then write an open-book ethics exam. I don't think you need any CE credits because I had none. But you will want to start the application process a month or 2 before you plan to start working because it takes time to process.

Share This Page