License question for anyone who is already licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canthacklt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - quick question for those of you that are already licensed. I passed the WREB a few months ago but I'm doing my residency in a state that doesn't accept it for licensure. I'm planning to eventually settle down in Oregon or Washington afterwards. Would you see any advantage whatsoever in applying for licensure in either of those two states now, while I'm doing my residency in another state (or is this even possible)? The reason this even crossed my mind is that I've heard you can get licensed in a state if you've had your license in another state for 5+ years. I thought it might be better to have 3 years under my belt once my residency is complete, rather than starting from scratch. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys - quick question for those of you that are already licensed. I passed the WREB a few months ago but I'm doing my residency in a state that doesn't accept it for licensure. I'm planning to eventually settle down in Oregon or Washington afterwards. Would you see any advantage whatsoever in applying for licensure in either of those two states now, while I'm doing my residency in another state (or is this even possible)? The reason this even crossed my mind is that I've heard you can get licensed in a state if you've had your license in another state for 5+ years. I thought it might be better to have 3 years under my belt once my residency is complete, rather than starting from scratch. Any opinions?

Every state is different, what you heard about being licensed for practicing 5 years in another state is not necessarily true. For instance, in Delaware, regardless of what boards you have passed and how many years you have worked, you are required to take a clinical exam for licensure. I think I would just make sure you are licensed a month or two before you end your residency. That way you dont have to wait for a license to work.

Also look at the renewal policy/renewal date for the state your considering. If there's a "large" Continuing Ed requirement you might want to wait until closer to practice time, or if the renewal date is based on your birthday and your birthday is sometime just before your residency ends than you might want to hold off depending on the license fee in that State.

Hi,
I passed WREB and started practicing in Oregon last year. They only require you to pass the WREB and then write an open-book ethics exam. I don't think you need any CE credits because I had none. But you will want to start the application process a month or 2 before you plan to start working because it takes time to process.