License under maiden or married name??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helenb02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about changing my name to my new married name. I just passed Step 3 and would like to start the licensing paperwork. Everything (USMLE scores, med school diploma, SS card, etc) so far has been under my old name. Should I go ahead and get the license under my old name or try to convert everything to my new name and get the license under my new name?? I plan to use the married name in the future, so I am betting I should try to change everything over before I go ahead with the license. Ugh...

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer your question, but it seems like changing your name is big pain!

If you decided not to change your name you'd be in good company. I believe the women of many Asian cultures don't change their names after marriage. The same is true for Islam or Muslim women (I think). I'm sure there are more.

See also "The Lucy Stone League" via your favorite internet search engine.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

-X

Yeah, it is absolutely a pain. However, my maiden name is a long one with four syllables and spelling it 200 times a day in the hospital is also a pain. I'm ready to upgrade to two syllables...

It actually isn't that hard to do for licensing. You just have to show a document with proof of your legal name change (ie your marriage certificate) and your ID and ssn should have your new name too. Changing your SSN is easy to do. as long as you have your marriage certificate, and so is the ID. Start with those two things, and then do the license.

It actually isn't that hard to do for licensing. You just have to show a document with proof of your legal name change (ie your marriage certificate) and your ID and ssn should have your new name too. Changing your SSN is easy to do. as long as you have your marriage certificate, and so is the ID. Start with those two things, and then do the license.
That is highly variable. There are some licensing boards that want retrograde addendums placed on official transcripts (college, med school) stating your new last name. At MINIMUM, whenever you apply for a new license, you need all college and med school transcripts, documentation of residency training and all 3 USMLE scores, as well as specialty boards depending on the state. Potentially all these may need to have your name addended (can be quite the PITA to contact all these and get it changed). It will vary by state as to the "rules". As far as changing your name in the same state once already licensed, that, I would think, is pretty easy...I think the difficulty is in getting the license to begin with.

Whatever you do, it's easiest to have things taken care of before getting a license, rather than changing it...so if you want to go by your married name, do it now. Get the license once and have it have the name you want and spare yourself the paperwork and time to get it changed later.

I have been wondering what I am going to do as well. I am going to graduate from medical school this year, and wasn't planning to get married until residency. I was planning on keeping my maiden name for my career but not sure how this would work for paychecks, licensing, govt forms, etc if I legally changed my name and took my future husband's name (who is also going to be a doctor). My mom, who is a doctor, some how kept her maiden name at work (and gets her paycheck and has her dr. license in her maiden name) BUT her legal name (on her drivers license and SS card) is her married name. I have no idea how she did this, or if it is even still possible to do this today.

I think will probably not legally change my name, and will be Dr. (Maiden Name) and just be Mrs. (Married name) socially.

Don't change your name!!! You are not Dr Insert someone else's name
You are Dr I worked hard to get this on my own!!!

TOo many women give up their identities when they marry. DON'T.

Don't marry. How hard can it be. Why do independent women need that crap?

Don't change your name!!! You are not Dr Insert someone else's name
You are Dr I worked hard to get this on my own!!!

TOo many women give up their identities when they marry. DON'T.

Don't marry. How hard can it be. Why do independent women need that crap?

:rolleyes: Oh, brother...

The OP was asking for advice about WHEN it would be easiest to change her name for licensing purposes, not whether she should change her name at all, and certainly not whether she should get married in the first place.

Geez.