Licensure after residency options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxillofacialradiologist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm a second year resident in oral and maxillofacial radiology and will graduate next year. I was looking at options for private practice radiology and I'm required a dental license for that. I'm an internationally trained dentist (BDS, MDS) from India before moving here. Location is not important for me as I will be engaging in teleradiology and where I am located can be flexible. I just need a valid dental license.

My problem is, as a radiologist, why do I need to show people that I can do root canals or crowns? I've been in radiology for over 6 years now and have completely left doing general dentistry work. I looked up options like PGY-1 pathways for license in Ohio, Colorado, Minnesota, California, even New York. Does anyone have knowledge about this? Whether they accept a residency such as Oral Radiology (it is a CODA Approved ADA specialty) or AEGD/GPR are necessary.

I'm trying to find the best way possible as doing something like ADEX/WREB will be extremely hard for me. I haven't touched a drill in over half a decade.

Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friend,

Did you ever resolve this issue? One solution would be to do a PGY-1 in the state of NY which does not require you to take any standard board exam such as the WREB or ADEX. This way you would be fulfilling the states license by residency requirement while circumventing the need to re learn how to perform a crown prep. Good luck!

Kind regards, premed

I would contact state licensing boards directly. It will be dependent on them. I believe if you've done a residency in the US, you may be able to fulfill the requirement of licensing by residency (which in the US is two years). However, I am not certain about how this would work for a non-clinical specialty such as radiology, so the state licensing boards may look at this differently.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm appearing the DLOSCE next month, hopefully that will be valid in some states by the time I graduate spring next year. If not, will have to look into academia till I figure out private practice options.

Reactions: 1 user