SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Licensure and research treatment

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Ollie123, May 12, 2008.

  1. Ollie123

    Ollie123 10+ Year Member

    Feb 19, 2007
    Does anyone know the exact laws regarding this? My understanding is that you do not need to be licensed in the state you are working in to provide supervision if it is categorized as research. Since most treatment laws are state and most research laws are federal, I wasn't sure what category this fell under so it might just be my state, in which case if you aren't from Florida, I'm still curious but its less relevant to the immediate situation:)

    I'm just trying to figure out what can/cannot be considered supervised hours as far as internship is concerned.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Therapist4Chnge

    Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    The bolded part is an APPIC question, as their document is where you'd need to include the info and get signed off on by your program, etc.

    As for licensure and supervision, from what I've seen is that most programs (unless 100%) seem to strongly prefer that their professors are licensed, so they don't run afoul in the event they supervisor students in a clinical setting.
  4. Ollie123

    Ollie123 10+ Year Member

    Feb 19, 2007
    That's why I'm wondering. We have a split since many of our senior faculty no longer supervise in the clinic, just within their own labs. We have some who do both, and then we bring in some outside folks for clinic supervision. However I "think" several core faculty are not licensed in this state, or have let their license here lapse, but are still able to supervise for things like research SCIDs or treatment studies without any legal concerns.

    Just trying to figure out how it works. I'll check with APPIC to see what counts there.

Share This Page