Licensure Criminal Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Culenn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The poseters on this site seems so knowledgeable that I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice or knowledge based on their experiences.

I've just completed my MA in Mental Health Counseling and am preparing to apply for licensure. The licensure application specifically asks about any arrests that you have had in addition to the question on convictions.

Unfortunately about six years ago I was arrested and charged with a disorderly person's offense. I was given a conditional discharge and it was dismissed after one year of probation. This is not considered a conviction, but I know it will come up on a background check and obviously I want to be entirely truthful on my application.

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how this would impact my licensure application? They ask for a page of explanation which I will of course attach. My concern is whether this will automatically lead to my application being rejected.

Has anyone had any experience with such situations? Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

The poseters on this site seems so knowledgeable that I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice or knowledge based on their experiences.

I've just completed my MA in Mental Health Counseling and am preparing to apply for licensure. The licensure application specifically asks about any arrests that you have had in addition to the question on convictions.

Unfortunately about six years ago I was arrested and charged with a disorderly person's offense. I was given a conditional discharge and it was dismissed after one year of probation. This is not considered a conviction, but I know it will come up on a background check and obviously I want to be entirely truthful on my application.

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how this would impact my licensure application? They ask for a page of explanation which I will of course attach. My concern is whether this will automatically lead to my application being rejected.

Has anyone had any experience with such situations? Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The wording of question can be important. Some states will ask to disclose only convictions, some will ask a case that was dismissed following probation. It might be helpful to contact a lawyer. I know that boards usually consider several factors including severity of the crime, proof of rehabilitation, length of time since the offense. Often, for alcohol or drug related crimes, a board will want to see a record of successfully completing a treatment program. I have a friend who had several felonies and eventually was cleared by the state licensing board. Failure to disclose may be more damaging than explaining the circumstances and corrective actions you have taken. I like to think that we are a forgiving field :). I am not a lawyer so please find more info in your state and consult with an attorney.