Licensure during OS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regmata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need to have a dental license to be a surgery resident?

Will a regular dental license allow me to practice as an oral surgeon or do I need to take more licensing exams upon completing my program?

My school is contemplating switching from the NERB to the WREB and I just realized that some of the programs I am applying to are in NERB only states and I would like to gauge how much this change may effect my program choices.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do I need to have a dental license to be a surgery resident?

Depends on the program. I know at my program (Parkland), I can get an institutional license that covers me for practice as a resident, whereas at my dental school's program (Highland), resident's are required to have a license within 1-2 years of starting (Can't remember precisely).

Will a regular dental license allow me to practice as an oral surgeon or do I need to take more licensing exams upon completing my program?

You don't need to take any more exams if you already have a functioning dental license in the state you hope to work in(Other than say, the Step exams if you're going the dual degree route), but things like board certification and specialty exams are some alternative routes of licensure if your regional licensing exam doesn't work for the state you're trying to get licensed in.

I'll have a "resident" license in Florida for the next 6 years. I just got my Texas license in the mail and plan on maintaining it for the full 6 years even though I can't moonlight. Everywhere is different, but for the most part, once you get a few (3-5) years under your belt, you can get licensed in other states based on the fact that you have a license in good standing in a different state.

I plan on heading back to Texas, so I don't think I'll sit for Florida boards. I was just planning on getting my license 6 years from now in Texas, but WREB expires after 5 years if you don't get a license. Just keep that in mind if you end up not getting your license right away.

Anyone know how DEA numbers work if you're not licensed as an individual in that state? I've always been under the assumption that no license = no DEA #.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have a "resident" license in Florida for the next 6 years. I just got my Texas license in the mail and plan on maintaining it for the full 6 years even though I can't moonlight. Everywhere is different, but for the most part, once you get a few (3-5) years under your belt, you can get licensed in other states based on the fact that you have a license in good standing in a different state.

I plan on heading back to Texas, so I don't think I'll sit for Florida boards. I was just planning on getting my license 6 years from now in Texas, but WREB expires after 5 years if you don't get a license. Just keep that in mind if you end up not getting your license right away.

Anyone know how DEA numbers work if you're not licensed as an individual in that state? I've always been under the assumption that no license = no DEA #.

Note that many states have a "practicing hours" rider on their reciprocity cause that require you to be practicing dentistry in the state you held the license for at least 2 years if you want to use the license for reciprocity.

As far as the institutional license, I know my program has an institutional DEA number that goes along with the institutional license.

Gotta love how these things change so much.

If I were to pass one of the licensing exams and get licensed in some state just to get licensed during a residency in a different state. Would being an OS resident constitute practicing dentistry for that 4 - 6 year period?

Obviously this wouldn't work for states that require you to have so many hours of practice in the state you are licensed in, but it may be a reasonable way to get gain licensure in some states.

Gotta love how these things change so much.

If I were to pass one of the licensing exams and get licensed in some state just to get licensed during a residency in a different state. Would being an OS resident constitute practicing dentistry for that 4 - 6 year period?

Obviously this wouldn't work for states that require you to have so many hours of practice in the state you are licensed in, but it may be a reasonable way to get gain licensure in some states.

Washington will give you a license (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=18.32.215)