Licensure Exams: Which states accepts what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PWillis04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just curious if thee is a website that lets us know what states accept which licensure exams. For example, does Mississippi accept SRTA? The SRTA website only names the states that are included in SRTA, but does not say which states will accept their exam.

Please respond to this post.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Just curious if thee is a website that lets us know what states accept which licensure exams. For example, does Mississippi accept SRTA? The SRTA website only names the states that are included in SRTA, but does not say which states will accept their exam.

Please respond to this post.

Thanks!

WREB.org lists the member states, as well as the non-member states that accept the WREB.

Like you, I couldn't find anything on the SRTA site, other than the fact that "26 states" accept their exam.

I don't know of any single site that lists what states take what, but you can usually got any specific state dental website and see what exams they accept.

You can take both WREB & NERB, then that will allow you to practice at 48 states, I believe. Then if you want to be covered 100% in this country, you can also take the Florida & Hawaii boards. Only 4 exams, not that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take both WREB & NERB, then that will allow you to practice at 48 states, I believe. Then if you want to be covered 100% in this country, you can also take the Florida & Hawaii boards. Only 4 exams, not that bad.

Actually, Hawaii accepts the CRDTS (ADEX) exam.

Good, then wreb, nerb, and Florida boards. That would cover the whole US.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/dentlic.htm

under: "Experience Requirements" Section

"Beginning January 1, 2007, all applicants for initial licensure must complete an approved clinically-based dental residency program of at least one year's duration. A clinical (practical) examination such as NERB will not be accepted for initial licensure after December 31, 2006"

do you guys know if doing a 2 years specialty (example endo)....does that qualify for state license, or does an exam also need to be done?
thanks

You guys are absolutely correctn regarding NY. Furthermore, I found something on the ADA website regarding states that accept various licensure exams. It is from 2006, so some changes may have occured.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/printarticle.asp?articleid=2128

Examination requirements
List shows which tests each state recognizes

Posted: Oct. 2, 2006
Author: Karen Fox

As indicated in the Sept. 18 ADA News, many state boards have recently made changes in clinical licensure examination requirements based on alternatives that are currently available.

It can be challenging to obtain current information from state boards, but based on inquiries made between Sept. 14-26, the following are clinical requirements for initial licensure.

Note that states have rules for timing of the exams and scoring and additional requirements for licensure, and that this information is subject to change. This list is not a final authority on dental licensure requirements.

If you're planning to take a licensure exam in order to practice dentistry, the ADA Department of State Government Affairs recommends you contact the state dental board and obtain a list of all licensure requirements in writing.

States

Alabama: accepts CITA;
Alaska: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
Arizona: accepts WREB;
Arkansas: accepts SRTA;
California: accepts California (independent) exam and WREB;
Colorado: accepts all state and regional exams;
Connecticut: accepts NERB, other exams if NERBdiagnostic section is completed and offers option to complete PGY1;
Delaware: accepts Delaware (independent) exam;
District of Columbia: accepts NERB;
Florida: accepts Florida (independent) exam;
Georgia: accepts CRDTS;
Hawaii: accepts CRDTS;
Idaho: accepts CRDTS, WREB and for 2006-07, will accept the results of any testing entity administering the ADEX exam;
Illinois: accepts NERB, CRDTS, SRTA and WREB;
Indiana: accepts all regional exams;
Iowa: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
Kansas: accepts all state and regional exams;
Kentucky: accepts NERB, SRTA and WREB;
Louisiana: accepts all regional exams provided they include components taken on patients;
Maine: accepts NERB;
Maryland: accepts NERB;
Massachusetts: accepts NERB and other state and regional exam results as long as NERB written portion is successfully completed;
Michigan: accepts NERB;
Minnesota: accepts CRDTS. Accepts WREBif ADEXParts I and III are completed. Offers option to complete PGY1 as long as residency includes an outcomes assessment evaluation;
Mississippi: accepts CITA;
Missouri: accepts all state and regional exams;
Montana: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
Nebraska: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB;
Nevada: accepts Nevada (independent) exam and WREB;
New Hampshire: accepts NERB and similar regional exam results if board deems the exam equivalent;
New Jersey: accepts NERB;
New Mexico: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
New York: accepts NERB. Will require PGY1 for initial licensure as of Jan. 1, 2007;
North Carolina: accepts CITA;
North Dakota: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB;
Ohio: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB;
Oklahoma: accepts WREB;
Oregon: accepts all state and regional exams;
Pennsylvania: accepts NERB;
Puerto Rico: undetermined at press time (CITA reports Puerto Rico accepts CITA results);
Rhode Island: accepts NERB. Other regional exams accepted with scoring restrictions;
South Carolina: accepts CRDTS, NERB and SRTA;
South Dakota: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
Tennessee: accepts SRTA and WREB;
Texas: accepts CRDTS and WREB;
Utah: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB;
Vermont: accepts NERB. CRDTS, SRTA, WREB also accepted as long as NERB written portion is successfully completed;
Virgin Islands: accepts Virgin Islands (independent) exam;
Virginia: accepts SRTA; also accepts CRDTS, NERB, WREB results taken after Jan. 1, 2005;
Washington: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB; has pilot project in Yakima Valley, Wash., exploring option of PGY1;
West Virginia: accepts all state and regional exams;
Wisconsin: accepts NERB. Accepts WREB if ADEX Parts I and III are completed;
Wyoming: accepts CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB.
Definitions

ADEX: American Board of Dental Examiners, a test development agency;
CITA: Council of Interstate Testing Agencies Inc. (www.citaexam.com );
CRDTS: Central Regional Dental Testing Serv* ice Inc. (www.crdts.org );
NERB: North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners Inc. (www.nerb.org );
SRTA: Southern Regional Testing Agency Inc. (www.srta.org );
WREB: Western Regional Examining Board (www.wreb.org ).

Actually, Alabama does not accept CITA- it was in the process of passing legislation to accept CITA, but the legislation didn't pass. So, Alabama is still administering its own exam (which is supposedly exactly like CITA, but not administered by the CITA people). There is a separate application and fee for the Alabama test and passing this test only qualifies you to practice in Alabama.

Actually, Alabama does not accept CITA- it was in the process of passing legislation to accept CITA, but the legislation didn't pass. So, Alabama is still administering its own exam (which is supposedly exactly like CITA, but not administered by the CITA people). There is a separate application and fee for the Alabama test and passing this test only qualifies you to practice in Alabama.

does that mean if ur done witrh wreb u can work as alicensed dentist in states which acept that

I am from NC and am taking the CITA in Alabama next month. UAB is not allowing anyone that is not a student or resident to screen patients in their OD clinics due to liability issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can find patients without having to fly them in from NC. Is there a service that finds patients for you? I have been contacting local dentists to no avail. I need some help/advice.

You could possibly see if one of the residents or students could screen a patient for you and you be there to "assist".