Licensure in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forsakensam

Reaction score
I was wondering if it’s true that in California you just need a doctorate degree in psychology to become a psychologist? For example, I work with someone that went to a program that wasn’t designed to lead to licensure. From the program: The EdD in Counseling Psychology (non-licensure) degree program does not lead to licensure/credential as a provider of counseling services and should not be viewed as preparation for entry-level practice. However, at my employer, they are working as clinical leads while in the process of becoming licensed.

Members don't see this ad.

How bizarre. Why bother with a Counseling Psych degree that doesn’t lead to licensure.

My guess is that, "in the process of becoming licensed" entails this person needing to go back-and-forth with the board to demonstrate that their education and training meets all state requirements. So they're potentially needing to verify things like coursework (e.g., list courses and possibly send syllabi), clinical training, internship training, and supervised practice hours. Or maybe they've already done that and are in the process of accruing supervised hours.

It's theoretically possible in many states to become licensed if you attended a program that wasn't designed to lead to licensure as a psychologist. But it often requires extra work from the individual both during their training and afterward (e.g., the above-referenced back-and-forth with the board).

It sounds like your employer is taking on some liability by allowing this person to work in a clinical capacity before they're licensed, though. Unless the board has stipulated that's ok while their application is under review.