Licensure mobility/credentialing banks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradStudent2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using a credentialing bank such as ASPPB or National Register of Health Service Providers?

I’m curious if it is as helpful as it sounds. It is likely that I’ll move a few times over the course of my career. Any experience with these? Are there others?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone using a credentialing bank such as ASPPB or National Register of Health Service Providers?

I’m curious if it is as helpful as it sounds. It is likely that I’ll move a few times over the course of my career. Any experience with these? Are there others?

I recently got the CPQ from ASPPB. Pretty painless, I guess. You don’t actually have to put in all your courses if your program is APA approved. That part of the bank was daunting to me. You also don’t have to list your practica experiences even though there’s a section on there for that. If you don’t have to, I’m not really sure what they have in there, but whatever.

My employer paid, as covering clinical and admin functions across market/states is part of my position. I probably wouldn't have done this otherwise, as I am not physically moving anywhere, but seems like money well spent? Spend $200 now and save hours of headaches filling out forms and/or anxiety about state licensing requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's largely irrelevant for some specialties if you get boarded. All of the states that I have looked into to get licensed have had a bypass option for individuals who are ABPP board certified. That made my process pretty painless. Additionally, many states have a different process if someone has been licensed for X number of years. So, even if you move, it may be worth it to keep licensure in your original state, if the cost works out, to build that seniority.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's largely irrelevant for some specialties if you get boarded. All of the states that I have looked into to get licensed have had a bypass option for individuals who are ABPP board certified. That made my process pretty painless. Additionally, many states have a different process if someone has been licensed for X number of years. So, even if you move, it may be worth it to keep licensure in your original state, if the cost works out, to build that seniority.

Well, yea. But for most others, The ABPP is not necessary to/for what we do.

The ASPPB credentials bank and the subsequent submission for the CPQ took several hours (and a few follow-up emails)...as opposed to several months of true clinical labor/work to get the ABPP.

Last edited:
I have National Register. I am in the process of getting licensure in a new state. I'll tell you how it goes, so far I am not particularly impressed.

Reactions: 1 users

I've been contemplating this as well. It is somewhat expensive, but I'm also working on becoming licensed in three states so maybe it is worth it?

Well, yea. But for most others, The ABPP is not necessary to/for what we do.

The ASPPB credentials bank and the subsequent submission for the CPQ took several hours (and a few follow-up emails)...as opposed to several months of true clinical labor/work to get the ABPP.

It's really just the same clinical labor you're already doing for neuro. The case samples are simply reports that you complete as part of your normal job. Other then that, just brushing up for a week for the written, and knowing what you're talking about for the orals. Additionally, my job pays all of my board fees, they will not cover credential bank fees. Much better deal for certain groups.

I had a really good experience with National Register. Full disclosure: I applied for and received the student scholarship a few years ago, so all my initial things were free. I did pay for the annual fee this year, so I’ll have to see benefits in the long run. It did make my recent out of state move and new position much easier. Licensure was very simple to transfer (checked a box and provided minimal documentation; NR did the rest) and they helped with my credentialing at my new hospital. I don’t have experience with other banking services.

Reactions: 1 users
I take it back. Looks like I can skip all the hours stuff thanks to the Register. I only have to provide 3 reference names/contact.

Hello,

I just submitted the first part of the application to National Register. I also emailed my internship/post doc supervisors requesting them to complete the confirmation forms and also ordered my grad school transcript.

If the internship/postdoc confirmation forms and my transcript are sent to national register a timely manner, approximately how long does it take for the whole credentialing process to be complete? As part of my new job, I need to get licensed in 2 states, therefore, I am wondering in your experience, how long the national register application and license transfer took.

Thanks so much!

Hello,

I just submitted the first part of the application to National Register. I also emailed my internship/post doc supervisors requesting them to complete the confirmation forms and also ordered my grad school transcript.

If the internship/postdoc confirmation forms and my transcript are sent to national register a timely manner, approximately how long does it take for the whole credentialing process to be complete? As part of my new job, I need to get licensed in 2 states, therefore, I am wondering in your experience, how long the national register application and license transfer took.

Thanks so much!
NR doesn't take too long once everything is submitted. But they might find errors. I would say a week, IIRC. After that you receive a paper confirming your Register, which you use to submit to your state licensure board. The length of process for each state will vary.

After grad school it was recommended that we sign up with NR and I'd definitely recommend credential banking if there's any chance you may move states. Over the years I've been licensed in 4 states (the last one within 5 years)- and the process has been greatly facilitated by NR membership. Realistically, I'm not sure how I'd have managed the most recent licensure without it - 30 years since graduation, internship program no longer exists, supervisors have retired/died etc. Of course it there were National licensure it wouldn't be an issue....

Could someone help me understand what the National Register (NRHSR) actually does? I recently also won one of those scholarships, and honestly have no idea what it even is for, so I haven't filled the thing out yet. I initially applied for a scholarship because I thought it had to do with licensing, but I have since gotten licensed, and now don't really understand how else it will help me? It seemed like it required a lot of hoops to fill out the application and submit materials, but for what payoff? Thanks!

Could someone help me understand what the National Register (NRHSR) actually does? I recently also won one of those scholarships, and honestly have no idea what it even is for, so I haven't filled the thing out yet. I initially applied for a scholarship because I thought it had to do with licensing, but I have since gotten licensed, and now don't really understand how else it will help me? It seemed like it required a lot of hoops to fill out the application and submit materials, but for what payoff? Thanks!

Others can add much more direct knowledge and experience, but with National Register specifically, my understanding is that they gather your materials and verify/credential your training. You can then request that they send a credentials verification letter to states and healthcare facilities that participate in their licensure mobility program. You might also be able to send the verification to states and facilities that don't participate, which could save you some time and hassle (e.g., may not need to send transcripts, documentation of supervision hours and training experiences, internship completion certificate, etc.).