licensure??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariefrances

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help me? I need a straight answer. Which exams do I have to take to be able to practice medicine in th US? I know the USMLE has to be done and it will be this year. I am a canadian family physician and I was trained in Canada. I am planning a move to the States in the next year or so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct about the USMLE's. I also believe you would have to take the CSA(clinical skills assesment test) and the TOEFFL( an english proficiency test). You have to be certified by the ECFMG(educational comission for foreign medical graduates) to sit for the USMLE's. You should start by contacting them. I would also suggest you contact the state medical licensing board of the state you intend to practice in. They will be able to tell you exactly what you will need to do in order to practice in their state.

You do not need to take the ECFMG, TOEFFL or CSA if you have attended an English-speaking medical school in Canada (I don't know the deal for French Schools). Canadian medical schools are accredited by the same organization that accredits US Schools and thus, Canadian grads are not considered FMG's. It may not even be necessary to take the USMLE's if you want to practice in the US. Thirty-seven State Medical Boards will issue a medical license by endorsement if you have your LMCC's. The other 13 States will probably require the USMLE's for licensure. In addition, the USMLE's are definitely required to obtain a visa to go the US. This is the main reason why most Canadian doctors write the USMLE's.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, that's what I understood. Now tell me if I have to take the american board?
They even talk about Canadian having to take an extra year of residency training.What's the deal with that? They don't consider the years of experience? I have worked in a very rural setting for 5 years doing everything from minor surgery to ICU. I'm getting a little discouraged here.
Thanks for the answer!

If you're referring to the American Board of Family Physicians (or something to that effect) Exams, I don't know. From my understanding, the ABFP requires three years of a family med residency with the last two years completed at the same institution. This poses a problem for Canadian family docs and I don't know what the solution is. I would suggest you contact both the State Medical Licensing Board of the state where you're going to move as well as the ABFP.