Lichen sclerosus, lichen planus, and lichen simplex chronicus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acciddropping

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have an easy way to remember the differences for Lichen vulva diseases? I think LSC results from scratching and LS from low estrogen. But I am wondering if there is a good way (or buzz words) to get those three conditions right. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an easy way to remember the differences for Lichen vulva diseases? I think LSC results from scratching and LS from low estrogen. But I am wondering if there is a good way (or buzz words) to get those three conditions right. Thanks in advance.

I remember it as: Lichen Simplex Chronicus from Chronic Scratching (you get L SC from CS).

Reactions: 4 users
Hey great, I was wondering how do u differentiate Lichen scelrosus from CAndida? Had a q on uworld on that and got it wrong. Thanks alot.
And out of the ones mentioned above only lichen sclerosus leads to sq Cell CA, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lichen sclerosus will normally be described in a question as a whitish lesion with thinning of the skin. Chronic irritation/scratching is also implicated.

If you happen to be using pathoma, he explains the distinction very well.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a really good way to remember!
I think simplex as simple therefore cant cause cancer.

Neither of the lesions 'cause' cancer. They are both associated with a risk of developing squamous cell cancer, but the lesions themselves are non-neoplastic, they aren't ever pre-malignant, that includes chronicus too.

Edit. It's probably an error in Goljans Rapid Review, 3rd revised edition. It's not backed up in Robbins.

Ill go with Simplex isn't associated and strike it out from rapid review.

Last edited:
which ones exactly increase risk for sq cell? you said Both?

Both are associated. Neither are malignant, neither cause cancer.

Probably means because they developed these lesions, they are likely to develop other squamous lesions, and possibly cancer, given that its usually postmenopausal women, I just assumed the underlying mechanism is related and gives rise to non-neoplastic lesions, as well as pre-malignant ones, so if they show one lesion, they are likely in the group of increased risked for the development of the others no?

Last edited:
Neither of the lesions 'cause' cancer. They are both associated with a risk of developing squamous cell cancer, but the lesions themselves are non-neoplastic, they aren't ever pre-malignant, that includes chronicus too.
didnt mean directly cause cancer, ya associated with it. Sattar said only lichen scl is associated with an increase, simplex isnt

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the reason for hyperkeratosis in oral lichen planus? In terms of hyperproliferation and epithelial differentiaion?

Hi

Lichen are a mixture of algeas and fungi that live in a beatiful symbiotic repationship on trees or stones. You can see them everywhere!

309px-Rock_based_lichen_Toodyay%2C_Western_Australia.JPG

(wikimedia)

Here is a little overview (from my notes) of the lichen you mentioned, that can be found on the skin:

i6S8PiY.png

(Keto)

Have a great day!