May 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I am currently an M1 studying in Israel. I am married and my wife lives in NYC while I complete my first year studies. She plans on moving to Israel in about 9 months. My school has a major break during October during which many students travel. However airlines highten prices so airfare can be expensive.

To fly to NYC it would cost ~$1000. My question for ya'all is if this expense, which would be financed in the majority by student loans, is reasonable or unwise. Or if I should just bite the bullet and save money and use the time to further my research/study options. My heart says go and pay the airfare but my brain says to limit my loans and to concentrate on my studies.

Light at end of tunnel

Dangerous to be right when government is wrong
Removed
Lifetime Donor
Nov 16, 2016
I am currently an M1 studying in Israel. I am married and my wife lives in NYC while I complete my first year studies. She plans on moving to Israel in about 9 months. My school has a major break during October during which many students travel. However airlines highten prices so airfare can be expensive.

To fly to NYC it would cost ~$1000. My question for ya'all is if this expense, which would be financed in the majority by student loans, is reasonable or unwise. Or if I should just bite the bullet and save money and use the time to further my research/study options. My heart says go and pay the airfare but my brain says to limit my loans and to concentrate on my studies.
You only live once.

Try to limit the number of potential regrets going forward. You'll regret them all.

About the Ads

PrettyLadyDoc24

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2014
Status
Attending Physician

It's perfectly reasonable to use your loans for travel, especially if the end result is a lovely trip home with your wife. Bon voyage!

Light at end of tunnel

Dangerous to be right when government is wrong
Removed
Lifetime Donor
Nov 16, 2016
Sound advice that has taken me a lifetime to learn. Thanks for the concise wisdom!
We've all felt that nagging thought of "should I be doing more" even when on well deserved vacation. It can be hard to set that monkey on your shoulder to the side and just live your life instead of letting it pass you by. You'll learn to do this more effectively moving forward.

And, if for some reason, you really do feel the need to study while in New York, bring a book (or some study material) to fill in the down time should there be any. The key is to find a balance by incorporating "lifelong learning" in such a way that it doesn't become all that you are actually doing.

Meant to wish you safe travels as well (either way). Good luck.

PS: bring flowers. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jcorpsmanMD

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Focus on the things that matter. For me, that's my friends and loved ones. For you, it could be the same, or it could be career goals. Only you can make that choice.

Reactions: Lannister

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Use the money and time to see your wife. It may not feel like it now, but M1 is the least important year in med school. B'chatzlacha!

Reactions: jcorpsmanMD

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
go see her

OP
N
May 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the advice! I found insanely cheap airfare on WOW airlines which made the decision easy.

Reactions: bashwell
About the Ads