Life Advice from your favorite big homie Queen James <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had some downtime after being killleeddd by boards and am a week from starting good ol' year 3 and I also realized a lot of y'all are about to start med school.

So listen up.... I'ma give y'all some MAJOR game.... gems.... jewels... and some DOs and DON'Ts.. as well as some things I would do different. *MAJOR KEY ALERT (Dj Khaled Voice)*

So here we gooooo..

1) There is NO such thing as studying too much. Everybody has a different "too much".

- So... you got you first exam coming up in 2 weeks.. and you got like 40 lectures to get through. Some people are gonna brush it off to the 4 days before and some will be killing all lectures all day.
FIND YOUR LIMIT. You only can focus from 8-5...? Ok.. well bust your butt those hours. You feel better studying from 12-7:00 AM and are a night owl...? Then looks like you will be studying then.

2) Nobody owes you ****. Depend on yourself and help others along the way AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

- Your professor didn't give a good lecture? It was just a hodgepodge of random ass slides and youtube video links? Oh well. Deal with it. Go do your own readings and get that info SOMEHOW. You have google, you have PDF books, and NO REASON why you can't hammer in the info. Your friends don't wanna study together? so what. Let them do their thing. If they fail out...will YOU pay their loans? I didn't think so. This goes vice versa too.

3) Learn to get along with EVERYBODY and don't be a hater or doucher.

- You are gonna meet "gunners"... you are gonna meet people who try to sound smart all the time.... people who are barely passing.... You know what's common amongst all of these people? They are all trying to be a doctor... just like you. Learn to see the good in EVERYBODY. You don't know their life story... you don't know what they have been through... Before you judge them... walk in their shoes. I made very good acquaintances from all "social circles" in med school... from the Ortho jock gunners... to the fashionista chicks... to the kids with felonies that still managed their way to squeeze into med school... they all taught me how to deal with people from all different worlds. JUST LIKE YOU WILL BE DEALING WITH ALL TYPES OF PATIENTS...

see what I did there? ;)

4) Mind your business. Don't discuss dating, don't discuss grades, don't discuss your favorite frickin' tv show or movie unless you actually get along with that person.
- A lot of students don't care. and also... a lot of people will only ask you your grades only to determine your "worth". Ignore all of that bull. Keep doing you.

5) DON'T BE A SENSITIVE LITTLE "FEMALE DOG".
- Your professor called you out in front of the small groups because you don't know the answer and you said "i don't know" and are afraid of looking dumb..? Oh well. Get used to it. This is your life now. You cannot and will not know everything in medicine. It's more important to know WHAT you know and also know what you DO NOT know so you can try to be a well-rounded person in terms of knowledge. Say "I don't know" and move on.
- Nobody owes you anything (like I said above) and your job is to give this your all in terms of effort and due diligence.

I got some more gems but ay.... I'll leave it up to y'all to chime in and I'll add as I go along.

I gotta get back to binging some netflix and killing this pizza.

<3

***edit***
- figured I'd add the rules onto this list as the thread goes on and I think of more things so that y'all don't have to scroll down if you don't want to.

6) Relax. You "made it". Well... kinda.
- Pre-med is NOTHING like med school. In fact, pre-medical and undergrad sucked huge donkey testicles more than the worst week of med school in my opinion. BUT NOW is NOT THE TIME to GET LAZY. I really think med school is enjoyable if you are shooting for average to slightly above-average ranking and performance.
- In undergrad, you were able to game the system... choose your professors (shoutout to ratemyprofessor.com) that were easier, make your own schedule, and choose how many units you wanted to take and how many fluff classes to take. NOT ANYMORE. Everything is laid out for you. Everybody has the same lectures... the same time to get thru material and the same exams now. It is YOUR JOB to get that info in somehow.

7) Be like water and just flow. There's more to life than medical school.
- UNLESS you are aiming for something like Ortho and surgery or something super competitive.... med school can be somewhat chill. If you are like me and still have NO idea what you wanna do, then you just try your best everyday and let the chips fall where they may.
- If you are a US student.. MD or DO... chances are you WILL make it to residency.... Ok... it may not be WHAT you wanna do.. or WHERE you wanna do it... but you will make it through and have a job at the end of the day unlike those pesky Caribbean kids or FMGs. Is that a good way of looking at it? IDK. It's for you to decide.

I personally do not care what I end up in or where. But I will work my ass off every single day because one thing that keeps things in perspective is that ALL OF THIS **** IS TEMPORARY. You cannot take this stuff with you when you die. But being a physician is one of the most badass things we can do in this lifetime.

We literally get to learn about and see the whole cinema of life as it is laid out before us. From conception... to life... and to death. And it will continuously be expanded upon.

Idc if you went to "hahvuhd" or stanford ... or if you end up doing psych in hicksville by the bayou... kill your ego and enjoy the ride.

8) Don't be a nosey prick. (kinda similar but peep this example).
- Don't be that guy or gal who only comes up to you during his/her break to peep at your laptop to see what you are working on or doing. It ABSOLUTELY PISSES ME OFF. BRUH?! WHERE THE EFF IS MY GODDAMN PRIVACY?
- NIP THIS IN THE BUDD RIGHT AWAY.
- Example) It is board prep season and I'm in class waiting for lectures to begin... so I am doing questions... like any sane med student would be doing at this time. The bozo behind me (Ok... not much a bozo... but the dude has major insecurities and is always trying to bud in on stuff and just worried about others.. u know the type) used to come up to me MULTIPLE TIMES during and in between classes just to chop it up (which is cool... i get it... I do the same...minus the stare at your laptop and see what you are doing... because it's none of my goddamn business) but then would literally BUD IN ON ME DOING QUESTIONS and give his input...

Ummm... homie... did I ASK? lol

- I get it. You read FA. You watched sketchy 9 times... You don't have to prove to me you know ur stuff. I believe you... but LET ME DO MY GODDAMN QUESTIONS.... please.

This used to happen NUMEROUS times... UNTIL... everytime I would hear him get up... what would I do?

SHUT MY LAPTOP. PLUG IN MY HEADPHONES.

CRANK THAT SOULJA BOY... YUUUUU ;)

Homeboy eventually got the hint and stopped messing with my personal space.

Was this douchey of me?

Sure. Probably was.

Do I care?

No.

My learning is top priority to me.

AS it should be.

9) Take care of yourself. Don't get fat or lazy.

- I was on a HUGE fitness craze before med school. I felt emotionally, spiritually, and physically sharp... hell... probably the sharpest I had ever been in life.
- I let that all go and put on more than 50 pounds since school started due to the constant sitting, eating, and lack of sleep and huge cortisol spikes all the time.
- I REALLY wish I maintained a regimen of even just an HOUR of fasted cardio or hitting the weights before class.
- Make time for yourself and your own body will thank you for it.
- You know how much it sucks wearing a tight white coat that you can't button up anymore???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
Had some downtime after being raped by boards and am a week from starting good ol' week 3 and I also realized a lot of y'all are about to start med school.

So listen up.... I'ma give y'all some MAJOR game.... gems.... jewels... and some DOs and DON'Ts.. as well as some things I would do different. *MAJOR KEY ALERT (Dj Khaled Voice)*

So here we gooooo..

1) There is NO such thing as studying too much. Everybody has a different "too much".

- So... you got you first exam coming up in 2 weeks.. and you got like 40 lectures to get through. Some people are gonna brush it off to the 4 days before and some will be killing all lectures all day.
FIND YOUR LIMIT. You only can focus from 8-5...? Ok.. well bust your butt those hours. You feel better studying from 12-7:00 AM and are a night owl...? Then looks like you will be studying then.

2) Nobody owes you ****. Depend on yourself and help others along the way AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

- Your professor didn't give a good lecture? It was just a hodgepodge of random ass slides and youtube video links? Oh well. Deal with it. Go do your own readings and get that info SOMEHOW. You have google, you have PDF books, and NO REASON why you can't hammer in the info. Your friends don't wanna study together? so what. Let them do their thing. If they fail out...will YOU pay their loans? I didn't think so. This goes vice versa too.

- You are gonna meet "gunners"... you are gonna meet people who try to sound smart all the time.... people who are barely passing.... You know what's common amongst all of these people? They are all trying to be a doctor... just like you. Learn to see the good in EVERYBODY. You don't know their life story... you don't know what they have been through... Before you judge them... walk in their shoes. I made very good acquaintances from all "social circles" in med school... from the Ortho jock gunners... to the fashionista chicks... to the kids with felonies that still managed their way to squeeze into med school... they all taught me how to deal with people from all different worlds. JUST LIKE YOU WILL BE DEALING WITH ALL TYPES OF PATIENTS...

see what I did there? ;)

4) Mind your business. Don't discuss dating, don't discuss grades, don't discuss your favorite frickin' tv show or movie unless you actually get along with that person.
- A lot of students don't care. and also... a lot of people will only ask you your grades only to determine your "worth". Ignore all of that bull. Keep doing you.

- Your professor called you out in front of the small groups because you don't know the answer and you said "i don't know" and are afraid of looking dumb..? Oh well. Get used to it. This is your life now. You cannot and will not know everything in medicine. It's more important to know WHAT you know and also know what you DO NOT know so you can try to be a well-rounded person in terms of knowledge. Say "I don't know" and move on.
- Nobody owes you anything (like I said above) and your job is to give this your all in terms of effort and due diligence.

I got some more gems but ay.... I'll leave it up to y'all to chime in and I'll add as I go along.

<3

Solid brotha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good stuff OP. Thanks for posting. About to start second year and completely agree with everything you posted.

It never ceases to amaze me how med students love to talk about grades.

Good stuff OP. Thanks for posting. About to start second year and completely agree with everything you posted.

It never ceases to amaze me how med students love to talk about grades.

Appreciate the feedback broski.

I think it's the fact that a lot of med students (us included... at times) are so stat driven, that it becomes a habit. We always want to know how to compare ourselves to others... were we above average? were we below?

I blame the whole pre-med process for doing this to us. Some of us grow out of it.. and some don't.

That leads me to...

- Pre-med is NOTHING like med school. In fact, pre-medical and undergrad sucked huge donkey testicles more than the worst week of med school in my opinion. BUT NOW is NOT THE TIME to GET LAZY. I really think med school is enjoyable if you are shooting for average to slightly above-average ranking and performance.
- In undergrad, you were able to game the system... choose your professors (shoutout to ratemyprofessor.com) that were easier, make your own schedule, and choose how many units you wanted to take and how many fluff classes to take. NOT ANYMORE. Everything is laid out for you. Everybody has the same lectures... the same time to get thru material and the same exams now. It is YOUR JOB to get that info in somehow.

- UNLESS you are aiming for something like Ortho and surgery or something super competitive.... med school can be somewhat chill. If you are like me and still have NO idea what you wanna do, then you just try your best everyday and let the chips fall where they may.
- If you are a US student.. MD or DO... chances are you WILL make it to residency.... Ok... it may not be WHAT you wanna do.. or WHERE you wanna do it... but you will make it through and have a job at the end of the day unlike those pesky Caribbean kids or FMGs. Is that a good way of looking at it? IDK. It's for you to decide.

I personally do not care what I end up in or where. But I will work my ass off every single day because one thing that keeps things in perspective is that ALL OF THIS **** IS TEMPORARY. You cannot take this stuff with you when you die. But being a physician is one of the most badass things we can do in this lifetime.

We literally get to learn about and see the whole cinema of life as it is laid out before us. From conception... to life... and to death. And it will continuously be expanded upon.

Idc if you went to "hahvuhd" or stanford ... or if you end up doing psych in hicksville by the bayou... kill your ego and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 11 users
Had some downtime after being raped by boards and am a week from starting good ol' week 3 and I also realized a lot of y'all are about to start med school.

So here we gooooo..

see what I did there? ;)

<3
Mods, please sticky! I can only "like" this once, alas.

Amen.

The real question is, what kind of pizza...??

Reactions: 4 users
The real question is, what kind of pizza...??

Does it have pineapple?

1) It was a vegetarian pizza from the finest of all pizza establishments.. fit for royalty and the supreme members of society that only exude luxury and elegance... PIZZA HUT BIATCH.

2) No pineapple this time. I want pizza foo'.... not dessert.

;)

Reactions: 3 users
1) It was a vegetarian pizza from the finest of all pizza establishments.. fit for royalty and the supreme members of society that only exude luxury and elegance... PIZZA HUT BIATCH.

2) No pineapple this time. I want pizza foo'.... not dessert.

;)

Pineapple on pizza is an abomination

I think it's the fact that a lot of med students (us included... at times) are so stat driven, that it becomes a habit. We always want to know how to compare ourselves to others... were we above average? were we below?

I blame the whole pre-med process for doing this to us. Some of us grow out of it.. and some don't.

That leads me to...

The bayou is beautiful this time of year. Just sayin’

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pineapple goes on pizza. Especially of there is hot sauce and jalapenos involved. Sweet AND spicy...
Has anyone else had peanut butter, pepperoni, and jalapeño pizza? It's a thing at a popular pizza place near me and it's disgusting... but not as disgusting as I expected.
For pizza, pineapples >>> peanut butter.

Nobody had BBQ chicken bacon hawaiian? That’s next level delicious.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else had peanut butter, pepperoni, and jalapeño pizza? It's a thing at a popular pizza place near me and it's disgusting... but not as disgusting as I expected.
For pizza, pineapples >>> peanut butter.

I saw someone post a picture of a peanut butter banana pizza. Another one with cream of mushroom and peas.

Some things should simply not exist.

There’s just some things that shouldn’t be done and putting fruit on pizza is one of them!

The perfect pizza doesn’t exi—

5C786BF1-706F-46B4-BAA1-CD2C3121E2EF.jpeg

Given how much I love pizza... all this pizza talk got me like...

anigif_sub-buzz-29312-1490205800-1.gif

Last edited:
I don't get what the big deal is about talking grades.

I don't get what the big deal is about talking grades.

Because that's all that a majority of med school students have left to evaluate their self worth by.

I'm not knocking it... to each his own... but that's not my cup of tea persay.

I could give 2 ****s if you are the top of the class...how you treat others without sounding like a pompous prick is more impressing to me.

but it is what it is.

ON THAT NOTE...

JUST FINISHED COMLEXXX AND I'M GETTING CHOCOLATE WASTED BABY!

LET THE 3 WEEK WAIT TIME FOR SCORES COMMENCE!

I'MA GO LOOK AT FM JOBS TO PASS THE TIME! LESSSSSGOOOOOO

Reactions: 5 users
Because that's all that a majority of med school students have left to evaluate their self worth by.

I could give 2 ****s if you are the top of the class...how you treat others without sounding like a pompous prick is more impressing to me.

but it is what it is.

ON THAT NOTE...

Right, but I've never talked grades with someone to size them up or to give them crap, and I have never seen that happen in my time in medical school. Knowing how others are doing, especially if you know them closely and how much work they put in, gives you a good gauge of efficiency and how you are doing.

Right, but I've never talked grades with someone to size them up or to give them crap, and I have never seen that happen in my time in medical school. Knowing how others are doing, especially if you know them closely and how much work they put in, gives you a good gauge of efficiency and how you are doing.

This is very contradictory statement...

And I don't think he's necessarily talking about exchanging grades down to the exact percent, but more of the compare answers and argue until you're blue in the face. The point of the whole thing is who cares, knowing my grades wont improve yours and vice versa.

Another rule.

8) Don't be a nosy prick. (kinda similar but peep this example).
- Don't be that guy or gal who only comes up to you during his/her break to peep at your laptop to see what you are working on or doing. It ABSOLUTELY PISSES ME OFF. BRUH?! WHERE THE EFF IS MY GODDAMN PRIVACY?
- Example) It is board prep season and I'm in class waiting for lectures to begin... so I am doing questions... like any sane med student would be doing at this time. The bozo behind me (Ok... not much a bozo... but the dude has major insecurities and is always trying to bud in on stuff and just worried about others.. u know the type) used to come up to me MULTIPLE TIMES during and in between classes just to chop it up (which is cool... i get it... I do the same...minus the stare at your laptop and see what you are doing... because it's none of my goddamn business) but then would literally BUD IN ON ME DOING QUESTIONS and give his input...

- I get it. You read FA. You watched sketchy 9 times... You don't have to prove to me you know ur stuff. I believe you... but LET ME DO MY GODDAMN QUESTIONS.... please.

This used to happen NUMEROUS times... UNTIL... everytime I would hear him get up... what would I do?

SHUT MY LAPTOP. PLUG IN MY HEADPHONES.

CRANK THAT SOULJA BOY... YUUUUU ;)

Homeboy eventually got the hint and stopped messing with my personal space.

Was this douchey of me?

Sure. Probably was.

Do I care?

No.

My learning is top priority to me.

AS it should be.

Last edited:

This part drives me nuts. cool you know the answer to a question thanks for ruining it for me before I could even read the question.

This part drives me nuts. cool you know the answer to a question thanks for ruining it for me before I could even read the question.

Exactly. It's very selfish and inconsiderate.

Sometimes the best advice are the blunt ones. Good read!

but it is what it is.

ON THAT NOTE...

Ironically I had the exact same plan.

Another rule.

8) Don't be a nosy prick. (kinda similar but peep this example).

This is why I study at home or somewhere away from campus. Too many nosy people or people just wasting your time. Literally this one dude tries hovering over me when I'm doing flashcards or something and asking me if he can do flashcards with me. Seriously?

This is why I study at home or somewhere away from campus. Too many nosy people or people just wasting your time. Literally this one dude tries hovering over me when I'm doing flashcards or something and asking me if he can do flashcards with me. Seriously?
What I always wondered is, how do they even have the time to do that? I barely had enough time to myself during the school year, never mind time to bother/annoy classmates.

What I always wondered is, how do they even have the time to do that? I barely had enough time to myself during the school year, never mind time to bother/annoy classmates.

Who the hell knows.

People are weird and medical school brings out the weirdness even more.

Can't emphasize this enough. Some people will literally guilt trip you about studying on a Friday. If you don't feel prepared, FOCUS ON YOURSELF.

Can't emphasize this enough. Some people will literally guilt trip you about studying on a Friday. If you don't feel prepared, FOCUS ON YOURSELF.

Yeah.. Their asses are the ones who will be struggling and regretting it second year and be the "shoulda woulda coulda" person during board prep. Leave no stone unturned. Bust your ass every single day.

A rare gem advice for all soon to be second year students here.

When you do decide on your third year rotation at some point this year, make sure to have your first block as either a vacation or elective block.

Real life story here from me:

I was board prepping throughout second year with the widely claimed Zanki method, with the plan to take both Comlex and USMLE in late May and early June. Third year rotation for me starts in late June. 2 weeks into my dedicated period, I was hit with an assessment of 190. That shattered my confidence. I had to push back my USMLE test by 4 weeks. I switched my first elective block into a vacation block, allowing me 2 extra weeks to study for my USMLE and take the exam. Some of my classmates were hit with similar unfortunate events and now had to take the USMLE 4-6 months from now. You don't want to be that person.

Nobody advised me to have my first block as an elective or a vacation block. However, I thankfully had it in my schedule.

A rare gem advice for all soon to be second year students here.

When you do decide on your third year rotation at some point this year, make sure to have your first block as either a vacation or elective block.

Real life story here from me:

I was board prepping throughout second year with the widely claimed Zanki method, with the plan to take both Comlex and USMLE in late May and early June. Third year rotation for me starts in late June. 2 weeks into my dedicated period, I was hit with an assessment of 190. That shattered my confidence. I had to push back my USMLE test by 4 weeks. I switched my first elective block into a vacation block, allowing me 2 extra weeks to study for my USMLE and take the exam. Some of my classmates were hit with similar unfortunate events and now had to take the USMLE 4-6 months from now. You don't want to be that person.

Nobody advised me to have my first block as an elective or a vacation block. However, I thankfully had it in my schedule.

Real spit homie.

At my school, our rotations and vacation times are split randomly.

I call it faith but as soon as I got done with comlex (1 week after my usmle) I had a nice easy primary care elective followed by vacation time and it was SO refreshing.

I have peeps that are YET to take the part of both boards and the mental anguish/stress of not having started rotations yet, scores not where they want them to be, and seeing other students moving ahead of them is causing them to stress EVEN MORE.

Many of my classmates have decided to just focus on COMLEX.

I don't judge them as everybody has to do what they have to do but I'm telling all of you 2nd year students...

SHEET happens. Be prepared for anything to happen and DON'T FOCUS on what others are doing.

I feel I passed by an "acceptable" margin (rationalization) as it could have been MUCH worse but I am SO GLAD to be over the hurdle of Step 1 lol

I feel like I just got on parole after a 10-year prison stint.

CHOCOLATE WASTED BABY!

Had some downtime after being killleeddd by boards and am a week from starting good ol' week 3 and I also realized a lot of y'all are about to start med school.

Since a lot of schools are starting up, figure I should bump this thread so the new OMS1 (advice also applicable to OMS2) can get a chance to read this

I would also like to thank @QueenJames for taking the time to write and post this - I am sure it will be very useful for lots of people

On behalf of SDN, I would like to thank @QueenJames with an Amazon gift card (please check your PM/Inbox) as a small token of our appreciation for this wonderful post

Reactions: 5 users
Since a lot of schools are starting up, figure I should bump this thread so the new OMS1 (advice also applicable to OMS2) can get a chance to read this

I would also like to thank @QueenJames for taking the time to write and post this - I am sure it will be very useful for lots of people

On behalf of SDN, I would like to thank @QueenJames with an Amazon gift card (please check your PM/Inbox) as a small token of our appreciation for this wonderful post

Thank you @group_theory for the honor!

It is definitely my pleasure and I will be adding more to this thread within the next week or so!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm back biatches.

- I was on a HUGE fitness craze before med school. I felt emotionally, spiritually, and physically sharp... hell... probably the sharpest I had ever been in life.
- I let that all go and put on more than 50 pounds since school started due to the constant sitting, eating, and lack of sleep and huge cortisol spikes all the time.
- I REALLY wish I maintained a regimen of even just an HOUR of fasted cardio or hitting the weights before class.
- You know how much it sucks wearing a tight white coat that you can't button up anymore???

I'm back biatches.

Nah brah, do you even lift?

Teach me your ways daddy.

:(
Just stop carb loading like you doing a marathon and the weight just comes off! Add a little adderol for that attention deficit you found out about when your classmates started doing better than you, then throw in some caffiene for good measure. You'll be fit and killing the grades.

Last edited:
Just stop carb loading like you doing a marathon and the weight just comes off! Add a little adderol for that attention deficit you found out about when your classmates started doing better than you, then throw in some caffiene for good measure. You'll be fit and killing the grades.

Yeah I'm back on the low carb diet that helped me before I came to med school and am down 10 pounds.

Surgery rotation helped with that as well since I was on my feet all the time.

And ADD? lol I don't have ADD.

I've been getting more sleep and just putting in the time.

No complaints so far.

3rd year is soooo much better than 2nd lol

Yeah I'm back on the low carb diet that helped me before I came to med school and am down 10 pounds.

Surgery rotation helped with that as well since I was on my feet all the time.

And ADD? lol I don't have ADD.

I've been getting more sleep and just putting in the time.

No complaints so far.

3rd year is soooo much better than 2nd lol
OF course you have ADD, apparently everyone in the top 25% of parental income and the top 25% of class does. They need the vyvanse.

Last edited: