Life after M.D./Ph.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mc495

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my family and friends keep asking me about whatever happens after I've finished both degrees (I'll be participating in URochester's MSTP Program starting this Fall)... Truth is, I never know what to answer. I'd like to have my own lab someday, and to have the opportunity to work in the clinical setting as well from time to time. What sort of training (post med/grad school) is required to achieve this? Do I first go through residency, then a post-doc?

Thanks!

-Melisa

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much! Except that you can do a "fellowship" instead of a post-doc. some residency programs are "fast-track" where a lot (or all) of your electives are in research plus they add another year of protected research time. It varies from program to program. I'm fairly certain that some type of post-doctoral research is required for acquiring your own lab. Not too sure about that clinical nonsense. :p

-X

mc495 said:
Do I first go through residency, then a post-doc?

duplicate thread. Other one is in the MSTP forum which is more appropriate, so I'm closing this one. Feel free to contribute to the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.