Life and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NAVY DDS 2010

This is intended for pretty much everyone here at SDN, but I am posting this intending it for the pre-dents who are worrying about applications, interviews and getting into school right now and the dental students are may be beginning to stress out over the first of many upcoming exams.

Life is too short to worry about things. I know things seem hard and stressful at times, but we always seem to recover no matter how hard things get. Enjoy the times you have right now. When you go to your interviews, have fun and learn about the schools. After you are in, enjoy your time. Enjoy your classmates. Enjoy what you do. You never know when it will end.

This afternoon - my good friend and classmate was shot and murdered by her husband as she was getting off the school shuttle to go to her car. He was later killed by police as he exited a church with three fully loaded pistols firing at the police. She was such a sincere, caring person who loved life and loved her future profession. Even today in lab, she worked hard trying to be perfect prepping and restoring #'s 29 DO, 19 B, 30 B. She wanted to make something of her life for her kid's sake. Now, the only thing she can show is how she lived her life - loving it and always giving her all in everything she did.

Please, don't worry about the little things in life. It is not worth it. Life is too short. In a matter of a few years, all this will be over and you can enjoy your life as dentists.

I know this is not 100% dentistry, but I think all of you need to hear in the times you face over the next few months / years that there is no need to sweat the small stuff.

Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

Horrible, I feel so bad for the children.

This is intended for pretty much everyone here at SDN, but I am posting this intending it for the pre-dents who are worrying about applications, interviews and getting into school right now and the dental students are may be beginning to stress out over the first of many upcoming exams.

Life is too short to worry about things. I know things seem hard and stressful at times, but we always seem to recover no how ard things get. Enjoy the times you have right now. When you go to your interviews, have fun and learn about the schools. After you are in, enjoy your time. Enjoy your classmates. Enjoy what you do. You never know when it will end.

This afternoon - my good friend and classmate was shot and murdered by her husband as she was getting off the school shuttle to go to her car. He was later killed by police as he exited a church with three fully loaded pistols firing at the police. She was such a sincere, caring person who loved life and loved her future profession. Even today in lab, she worked hard trying to be perfect prepping and restoring #'s 29 DO, 19 B, 30 B. She wanted to make something of her life for her kid's sake. Now, the only thing she can show is how she lived her life - loving it and always giving her all in everything she did.

Please, don't worry about the little things in life. It is not worth it. Life is too short. In a matter of a few years, all this will be over and you can enjoy your life as dentists.

I know this is not 100% dentistry, but I think all of you need to hear in the times you face over the next few months / years that there is no need to sweat the small stuff.

Take care!

humm good lesson

Members don't see this ad :)

Life is too short to worry about things. I know things seem hard and stressful at times, but we always seem to recover no how ard things get. Enjoy the times you have right now. When you go to your interviews, have fun and learn about the schools. After you are in, enjoy your time. Enjoy your classmates. Enjoy what you do. You never know when it will end.

Take care!

thanks for sharing your thoughts

Take care!

Good lesson and appreciate your sharing, but whenever I hear these stories I can't help but scratch my head about why men and women marry these psychopaths in the first place. I mean, it might be hard to really to get to know someone, but I'd think that people who are prone to such extreme displays of behavior normally shows shades of their mind in daily action, like that Cho kid who was basically antisocial and all that. My personal philosophy is to just hang out with folks who are normal and balanced, and avoid at all costs those that even show a tint of wacko tendency.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, what a horrific tragedy.

Good lesson and appreciate your sharing, but whenever I hear these stories I can't help but scratch my head about why men and women marry these psychopaths in the first place. I mean, it might be hard to really to get to know someone, but I'd think that people who are prone to such extreme displays of behavior normally shows shades of their mind in daily action, like that Cho kid who was basically antisocial and all that. My personal philosophy is to just hang out with folks who are normal and balanced, and avoid at all costs those that even show a tint of wacko tendency.

Yea, let's blame the victim :thumbdown:

i dont think the poster is trying to blame the victim. of course it's a tragedy and by no means the victim's fault. i think it's definitely useful for everyone to think about.

Yea, let's blame the victim :thumbdown:

I am not necessarily blaming the victim, but all of us are accountable to some degree over our own destiny. This victim voluntarily chose to marry this psychopathic man in the first place, and I am willing to wager that she overlooked or simply ignored a lot of red flags during the initial courtship. What I am saying is that people should develop an awareness and a reality check on others; I personally would not touch anybody with any mental instability with a ten-foot pole. A dentist should also have this cautious mentality as well, avoiding troublesome or contentious patients.

I want to comment on what Shunwei said. I am not trying to be argumentative, so please don't start getting offensive. You don't always know who is and who isn't psychotic until it is too late. Their marriage was wonderful (according to my friend before her murder). They had two great kids together. It wasn't until later that she started seeing the true colors of her husband. He began getting extremely possessive of her and she eventually had to ask him if she could do things. She finally spilt up from him this summer and had a restraining order against him. Today, she was going to be missing class because it was her day in court for her divorce. Look where leaving him got her. He did exactly what he said he would do if she divorced him.

Well, I am not offended, but I feel like this "you don't know who-is-who until it's too late" is often a cop-out by women who want to wash their hands of responsibility for their own mistakes. Truth is, no matter how a person masquerades you can always tell tidbits about their true identity through little clues here and there; often times, women tend to either ignore these little clues, or just plain lie to themselves because they like the guy. Like I said before, each one of us has to take a certain amount of responsiblity for what we do, and while I certainly feel for your friend and condemn this crime to the utmost, I cannot buy the excuse that the guy was "wonderful" if he does have an innate possessive streak (to the max) because it would have shown through in more ways than one.

Leave it alone, guys. For goodness' sake....simply more proof that dental students are humorless, naive, and competitive.

It wasn't the point of the post, and let's all take a moment to enjoy the more important things in our lives. And to the OP, my sympathy to all who knew and loved her.

Leave it alone, guys. For goodness' sake....simply more proof that dental students are humorless, naive, and competitive.

It wasn't the point of the post, and let's all take a moment to enjoy the more important things in our lives. And to the OP, my sympathy to all who knew and loved her.

Too true, leave to us on SDN to take a thoughtful thread and turn it into a analyzation of how a victim should have known better. Come on people.