Life as a grad student in clinical psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JatPenn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel as though there isn't enough information on this board to really excite people about being a grad student in a clinical psych program. There's a lot of doom and gloom, mindless bickering, etc.

Today, first thing in the morning I co-taught my freshman-level statistics class and had a ball, the students are young and eager to learn (not yet jaded) and the style of the class is conducive to lots of interaction. I then ran out to grab some breakfast, came back to my office and worked on analyzing EEG data that will constitute part of my Master's thesis. Around lunchtime, I chatted with my advisor about the summer, and upcoming studies that we'd be running. In the afternoon, I met with another faculty and her lab members to talk about a large-scale collaboration involving using psychophysiological methods gauge treatment effectiveness in depression. After that, I ran up to the clinic to see my assessment client, and I ran her through a battery of Wechsler tests and we talked at length about her attention problem to pinpoint the function of her behaviors and what we can do ameliorate her symptoms.

Yes, being a clinical grad student is a lot of work and is exhausting/frustrating/stressful at times. But it can also be the most satstfying experience of your life from both an intellectual and emotional standpoint. I am a first-year student, and have a long way to go, but days like today will make the remaining 4 years fly by as quick as this one did. Please, enjoy your experience as much as you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your post, its nice to see some optimism 'round these parts. :) I am also determined to be happy in graduate school and have a meaningful and fulfilling life.

As a student who is just finishing my MS program and entering a PhD program in the fall, this was my day:

I showed up to school around 10am, consulted with my fellow grads about grading some tests. I met with my advisor and we discussed my recent efforts at a poster I will be preseting next week. Took lunch. Came back, sat down with a fellow student and redid my poster. We spent a couple of hours discussing the implications of the findings and what the discussion should say, let alone the whole poster! After that spend awhile just hanging out in another professors lab while his students worte papers and graded tests, etc. We basically just shot the ****, the professor stopped by, discussed a few things. Then I headed home for the day. What I neglected to mention in all of this, was that this was all on my schedule. I chose what I did and when I did it. No boss to tell me what to do! I have deadlines sure, and I am expected t produce, but the how is up to me. It is a delight!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, that's a great post. i'd like to hear more about the day-to-day activities of grad students as i have only a small idea as to what to expect. you may think what you are doing is trivial to the rest of us, but i know i'd like to hear about it. :)

Great post. I wish there were students who wrote blogs on this site in psychology. I'm in a master's program in counseling psychology and am all finished with this semester. So that ends my first year. Right now, I've got a full-time job administering assessment tests for preK children at a charter school. It's just for a week and a half long period, but I'll get a great stipend at the end of that time. This summer I will go back home, study for my comprehensive exam this fall, work on thesis stuff, and prepare for applying to PhD programs in counseling psychology this fall. I will also be searching for a practicum this fall.

This is all great information, and I would love to hear more about everyone's day-to-day lives as grad students. I'm applying this fall for 2007 admission and it's awesome to hear about the things we have to look forward to as well as the difficulties. Thanks!

Well, sometimes I work hard. Really hard. So hard that I neglect life-sustaining activities such as eating, sleeping, and maintaining relationships.

But today, for instance, I went out for coffee. Painted my toenails. Screwed around online for hours. Did yoga. Played with my cats. In general, decompressed.

Of course, there was an endless pile of stuff to do along with looming deadlines, and of course I feel guilt along with the relaxation.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do. Better done than good. B's get degrees. Yada yada yada.

Grad school is extremely hard, but I wouldn't be able to get myself through it unless I occasionally relaxed extremely hard too.

Well, I'm finishing up my 4th year as a Ph.D. student - so I'm no longer teaching, and don't really go over to school much anymore.

On a typical day, I work in a VA hospital ... doing bedside therapy, running groups, neuropsych. assessments, doing consultation work with the hospital and home-based care services, meeting with staff and coordinating treatment with social workers, physician, nutritionists, pharmacists, physical/occupational therapists - even chaplains (especially on hospice). Today was much the same. I was at the hospital half the day, and also do grant research for a company that makes neuroscience based reading programs/software.

Of course dissertation (the "dreaded D") is always lingering in the backround. I'll be starting an APA internship this fall, and am just trying to finish the "little" things up. My first 2 years of grad school were really hard. 3rd year was just as difficult, but started getting to be A LOT of fun... Now, 4th year is even more work, emotionally draining, but also the best time of my life.

You have to love this work! It takes a lot of physical, emotional, and intellectual strength to get through, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

This thread just made my day. It took my mind off the stress of application, and made me really look forward again to the actual school part. You guys rock!