Life as an ER doc--part time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to go into ER. I want to work part-time. What options are available for part-time ER docs? Are groups willing to take on part-timers? What about going to outlying hospitals to work weekends?

Members don't see this ad.

liza said:
I'm probably going to go into ER. I want to work part-time. What options are available for part-time ER docs? Are groups willing to take on part-timers? What about going to outlying hospitals to work weekends?
i think they usually have more part-time openings than OR doctors...

/obligatory

It's definitely doable. Being an ER doc is a lot more amenable to part-time than being a Maternity Ward doc or a Cardiac Catheterization Lab doc. Heck, you might even be able to pull off working less than Radiology Suite docs. But to answer your question, yes. Just look around on this forum. There are plenty of part time attendings.

liza said:

Once your training is complete, you generally can work as many or as few hours as you want, although your income can depend on a lot of things, the region of the country, the group for whom you work, and what kind of a contract you sign.

When you start, you'll want to carefully gauge how much work you can handle without burnout being a problem. An eight-hour shift is different from a twelve-hour shift, and working in some EDs can be relatively smooth, whereas others will have you running around at warp drive the entire time. Bottom line: KNOW exactly what you're getting yourself into.