life at UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markss22411

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just got my first acceptance to UNECOM and I'm pretty psyched. I liked the set-up of campus, and I know it doesn't have the highest % for passing the COMLEX (although they said they're updating the curriculum). Overall, I liked the school on my interview day, but I also wanted to see what others think of the school (especially those that currently attend). What is your favorite part of UNECOM? What is your least favorite part?

Can anyone comment on 3rd/4th year rotations as well?

Also, I hear Portland is the place for "night life". How far is it to Portland and what is the scene there?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, I just got accepted the 21st to UNE. One of the doctors that recently graduated from there is at UNC medical school as an assistant professor AND an anesthesiologist.

I liked the school because it's right on the ocean! I didn't like the fact that campus looked pretty gloomy and the gym is TINY.

Hey guys,
I'm an MSI an UNE right now and wanted to put my two cents out there. First of all, congrats on getting in! :D
The campus was a little bare in the last couple months with the weather changes, but in the summer and fall (with leaves) it's beautiful. Plus, the students and the experience here at UNE will make it all very enjoyable. Lastly (about the gym) a bunch of us belong to Planet Fitness which is like 10-15 minutes from school and it's $15/month with no contract. They are open from 5am to 11pm M-F and that works great for most of us. Weekends they close at 7pm.
So best of luck and welcome aboard!!!
c-ya, Momo

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrates on getting in, I really like biddeford (and the surrounding towns), I grew up in a really small town in NY with the closest wal-mart being 45 minutes away though. If you like the hustle and bustle of a large city, you're defiently going to want to try living in Portland, but if you like the relaxing atmosphere of a small college type town, I think Biddeford/Saco is a great place to come...

Anyway, about 3rd/4th year rotations... i can say a little bit about that one. Toward the end of 2nd year there's a big lottery process where everyone gets to pick/lotteries for a certain site. There are 12 "locations" ranging from Bangor, ME (north of biddeford by about 3 hours) to Newark, NJ, to Watertown, NY (there's a number of sites in Eastern PA if you're from that area). That is all to say, you end up spread out your third year. There is one rotation site that centers itself around Biddeford, but you could end up travelling up to an hour to certain rotations, and only 12ish people (of 120 in the class) get that site. It's always a popular choice for students.

We spend 6 in FP, 12 in IM, 6 in Surgery, 6 in OB, 6 in Peds, 6 in Psych, 6 as an open block during 3rd year... 4th year you have 4 in surgery (can do a specialty if you want), 4 in IM (same as with surg), 4 in ER, 4 in OMM, 4 in rural. You have four 4 week elective sections that you can do during 4th year. Hope this all makes sense. :)

jonb12997 said:
Congrates on getting in, I really like biddeford (and the surrounding towns), I grew up in a really small town in NY with the closest wal-mart being 45 minutes away though. If you like the hustle and bustle of a large city, you're defiently going to want to try living in Portland, but if you like the relaxing atmosphere of a small college type town, I think Biddeford/Saco is a great place to come...

Anyway, about 3rd/4th year rotations... i can say a little bit about that one. Toward the end of 2nd year there's a big lottery process where everyone gets to pick/lotteries for a certain site. There are 12 "locations" ranging from Bangor, ME (north of biddeford by about 3 hours) to Newark, NJ, to Watertown, NY (there's a number of sites in Eastern PA if you're from that area). That is all to say, you end up spread out your third year. There is one rotation site that centers itself around Biddeford, but you could end up travelling up to an hour to certain rotations, and only 12ish people (of 120 in the class) get that site. It's always a popular choice for students.

We spend 6 in FP, 12 in IM, 6 in Surgery, 6 in OB, 6 in Peds, 6 in Psych, 6 as an open block during 3rd year... 4th year you have 4 in surgery (can do a specialty if you want), 4 in IM (same as with surg), 4 in ER, 4 in OMM, 4 in rural. You have four 4 week elective sections that you can do during 4th year. Hope this all makes sense. :)

Just to add on to what jonb12997 discussed. The 3rd year is at a "core" rotation site as he described, and the school sets up those rotations for you. The 4th year YOU set up which gives you flexibility on where you go for your 4th year rotations. I am wrapping up my last away rotation (4th year) and am doing the rest of my 4th year rotations back home (which was the "core" site for my 3rd year in Maine). Most of your 4th year rotations will be 4 weeks in length, but at least for this year's 4th year class, two of those can be less than 4 weeks (minimum of 2 weeks in length).

Wook