Life changing decision, 2012-2013 Chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justtrying

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently made a life changing decision to give up my pursue of a professional sports career and apply to medical school and boy am I SO glad I found this website!!

cGPA = 2.8, B.A. English

sGPA = 3.2 (3.9 in prereq post-bacc)

38T MCAT (12, 13,13) - (Jan 28th, 2012)

University sports team (2 year all-conference honorable mention)
50 hours pediatric shadowing
200+ hours of volunteering, private content tutoring
speak 4 languages fluently

2.0 fresh + sopho year in college. ~3.0 to finish the last two years. 3.9 post-bacc, 33 semester hours of pre-req material. The jump is due to a late diagnoses and treatment for ADD. I was actually diagnosed by my family physician when I was 6, but my first generation father decided to ignore the doctors suggestions and it was never brought up till after graduation (2011). Do I mention this? what are my chances? school list? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You posted this thread earlier. Wtf? You can edit threads that Already have a response.

yeah...I thought that you could delete a thread / was using sdn mobile. thanks for your response earlier. My adviser did say that it's a blind shot this cycle, I am hoping that SGU will take me if nothing else to provide me with options.

Members don't see this ad :)
way bad move. the problem is that more med students are being put out faster than residencies are increasing. they anticipate that the crunch is going to begin with the class of 2016 and it is going to hurt. The fact is that the biggest people will hurt is foreign medical grads. in addition to the incredibly high attrition rate, caribbean grads already have a very hard time getting residencies within the US in even non-competitive specialties, so the crunch is going to add to that. Leaving med school with $250k debt is much worse when you can't get a residency. And that's if you graduate. Nothing against you personally, but the attrition is that bad.

It will still be awhile until the DOs feel the crunch within ACGME residencies and DOs have their own residencies. You have an absolutely amazing MCAT. DO schools replace grades so if you took one or two bad grades, you might be able to jump into the 3.0 category. It will benefit you drastically to stay.

Killed this last semester with a 4.0 got the final confirmation just yesterday. I definitely know this sh*ts for me. Now the application:

2.96 cGPA
3.776 sGPA
38T

Applied to SGU as back up and haven't heard anything as of yet. Looking DO route and would prefer a bigger city if possible. Personally don't want to attend a MD program due to the stuck up personalities often associted with them and a heavier desire not to do an SMP. I wish I had better ECs but I spend a lotta time playing ball and practicing with thy team, which isn't really a big enough excuse.

Killed this last semester with a 4.0 got the final confirmation just yesterday. I definitely know this sh*ts for me. Now the application:

2.96 cGPA
3.776 sGPA
38T

Applied to SGU as back up and haven't heard anything as of yet. Looking DO route and would prefer a bigger city if possible. Personally don't want to attend a MD program due to the stuck up personalities often associted with them and a heavier desire not to do an SMP. I wish I had better ECs but I spend a lotta time playing ball and practicing with thy team, which isn't really a big enough excuse.

Get that GPA above 3.0

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Signed up for 6 credits this summer! So that should bring me above the 3.0...just barley.