Life improvement after 2nd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a week away from being done with second year and a month from being done with Step 1. By now there's not much of a social life outside of the books and the dating pool at school has pretty much dried up. Current third and fourth years (guys especially): Did you feel overall that you had more free time to pursue other interests outside you time in the hospital/clinic? For the single guys out there did dating opportunities improve or decline? After all of the failed attempts at relationships during the first two years, I'm hoping things will be a bit more successful the next couple of years.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a week away from being done with second year and a month from being done with Step 1. By now there's not much of a social life outside of the books and the dating pool at school has pretty much dried up. Current third and fourth years (guys especially): Did you feel overall that you had more free time to pursue other interests outside you time in the hospital/clinic? For the single guys out there did dating opportunities improve or decline? After all of the failed attempts at relationships during the first two years, I'm hoping things will be a bit more successful the next couple of years.

Life was definately much nicer after 2nd year.

You are busy, maybe even busier than you were in the preclinical years, but its a different kind of busy. You are at the hospital for 8+ hours/day. Youre rounding, writing notes, etc. And in the evenings you read...not a lot, but 30 minutes per night is pretty good. You are tired but you feel like you did something (hopefully).

You trade a stiff neck and tired eyes for sore feet and carpal tunnel, but its worth it.

Does dating improve? Well, youre surrounded by nursing students. ;) :thumbup:

It does get better, but it's all dependent on what service you are on. The dating aspect never really gets better. I had rotations where I worked 6 hours in clinic, spent 3 hours by the pool, and 1 hour reading. I also was on a few services where I worked 5 am until 10 pm and took call and worked weekends. You are always going to be busy, putting a career before your family and yourself, because let's face it, that is what being a doctor is. Unless of course you go into Derm or ER where you take no call and work 3 or 4 days a week:laugh:

And yes you are surrounded by nursing students, so that always up's your chances, but instead of competing with nursing students you are competing with single residents:laugh: