Life improvement after 2nd year?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Inquiringmind24, May 11, 2007.

1. Inquiringmind24

Inquiringmind24 "The fact man"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So I'm a week away from being done with second year and a month from being done with Step 1. By now there's not much of a social life outside of the books and the dating pool at school has pretty much dried up. Current third and fourth years (guys especially): Did you feel overall that you had more free time to pursue other interests outside you time in the hospital/clinic? For the single guys out there did dating opportunities improve or decline? After all of the failed attempts at relationships during the first two years, I'm hoping things will be a bit more successful the next couple of years.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Life was definately much nicer after 2nd year.

You are busy, maybe even busier than you were in the preclinical years, but its a different kind of busy. You are at the hospital for 8+ hours/day. Youre rounding, writing notes, etc. And in the evenings you read...not a lot, but 30 minutes per night is pretty good. You are tired but you feel like you did something (hopefully).

You trade a stiff neck and tired eyes for sore feet and carpal tunnel, but its worth it.

Does dating improve? Well, youre surrounded by nursing students. ;) :thumbup:

4. cremaster2007

cremaster2007 Birthday cake remix
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It does get better, but it's all dependent on what service you are on. The dating aspect never really gets better. I had rotations where I worked 6 hours in clinic, spent 3 hours by the pool, and 1 hour reading. I also was on a few services where I worked 5 am until 10 pm and took call and worked weekends. You are always going to be busy, putting a career before your family and yourself, because let's face it, that is what being a doctor is. Unless of course you go into Derm or ER where you take no call and work 3 or 4 days a week:laugh:

And yes you are surrounded by nursing students, so that always up's your chances, but instead of competing with nursing students you are competing with single residents:laugh: