Life in Erie, PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristenE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any LECOMers tell me about life in Erie, where to live, where not to live, stuff to do, etc...?!?!? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

kristenE,

Life in Erie really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. When you first arrive to the area in July, the weather is actually pretty nice, and you can go to Presque Isle Park to relax and look out over the lake. This year we had our first snow storm in late October I think, and it really wasn't bad. The thing with Erie snow is that you get it in small amounts (1-3 inches) frequently. Sometimes we will get dumped on, but for the most part it's small accumulations every few days. LECOM does a good job of cleaning the parking lot (better than the main roads sometimes).

As for where to live, Lakeview is one of the nicer places if you have a roommate (since it's only 2 bedroom apartments). I must advise against Granada. If you are willing to put up with poor management and less than stellar facilities (but a cheap price), then it's for you. I am living there now, but am looking to get out for next year. There are lots of places similar to Lakeview (Willowwood, Scenery Hills, etc.), just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how far from the school you'd like to be. I definitely advice going to look at the places before moving in.

As for stuff to do, Erie has a lot for a smaller city (4th largest city in PA). A few movie theaters, a large mall, lots of shopping centers (Peach street is all shopping centers with tons of places to eat out), Presque Isle State Park, Erie Zoo, a comedy club, numerous bars and pubs, a dance club (Metro) and anything else you'd really need or want (I think). It's not going to be like Philly or NYC, but I think it has a lot for where it's located. It has a lot more than my hometown anyway.

If you'd like to know anything else, let us know.

njdo

I'd also like to advise against Granada apartments, mainly due to the noise from my neighbor upstairs. I must say that I do like the rent I'm paying ($335) for a one bedroom, which is the cheapest I've found so far. It's also close to LECOM which is a big plus. I'll probably renew my lease but will try to move to the top floor to avoid the annoying footsteps and the even more annoying sounds when they get their freak on. It was funny at first, but now it irritates me.

As for Erie itself, the lake is pretty during the summer. My girlfriend came up to see me and we both went bicycling out there and it's very relaxing. There is only one enclosed mall here, but it has pretty much all the stores you want. There a few clubs, but I don't go to them so I can't comment. During the winter, it's pretty cold and the snow is starting to be a drag at times. They do a good job in removing it though. All in all, it's not too bad. It's like your average suburban town.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm heading to Erie tomorrow (Sunday) to scope out the area. I just heard from a LECOM pharmacy student who said she likes Granada..... Is it just the luck of the draw??? I don't want to deal with the aforementioned problems, so should I try to get an upper level apartment? How about pets? Can I bring my dog/horse?
I think that I'm close enough where I can run up there a couple of times before school, so ANY info on where to live as well as pros and cons are greatly appreciated!! Basically, I guess my question is now, because you are students at LECOM and you know the area and your apartment, where would you pick to live? Would it be the place where you are now, or somewhere else??
Thanks again,
Kristen

I've been in Erie for about 8 months now and at Lecom for 5 months. Overall, I am pretty happy with everything. Although my husband and I bought a house, I have a lot of friends living in apartments. If you have pets, then you may want to consider Tanglewood, as they allow dogs... if you give them a pet deposit!

Hi!

I will be attend LECOM in August...Where do *most* students live? What is the going rate for apts? I would like to find a roommate and get a nicer 2 bedroom place. Any suggestions?

Rebecca

Seems to be a lot of students in Granada, but no dogs allowed there. Scenery Hills has really nice 2 bedrooms and I think they have a lot of students as well, although I think it may be more expensive.
I live in Tanglewood, which is about 10 minutes from school. I have a really nice, new 2 bedroom which allows my dog and includes all utilities. I pay $630/mo, which is very do-able with my fiance helping out, or if you were to have a roommate. I haven't had any problems here, its very convenient and they are renovating so you would have brand new appliances, carpets, blinds, etc when you move in. I really like it here, although there are not any other LECOMers here, as far as I know. (I should get commision from Tanglewood for this post!)
Its worth checking out, especially if you have a dog. That was the toughest part of finding a place to live out here, unless you want to buy a house.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, or you can send me a pm!

PS Hey sddoc, as if we don't spend enough time together..now we meet on sdn as well..:laugh:

Any suggestions on affordable yet decent places? I will be able to fly to Erie in March to check out apartments (during spring break).

Because I am military HPSP, I have obligatory OBC training 15 June-26 July. Yet, I will have to find roomate and place to live so I am moved in and ready to start classes on 1 August. Any suggestions? I have accepted that fact that I will have to pay 6 week rent for when I am not there. I plan to find roomate (don't know how yet) and decent affordable housing in good area.

Are there any areas of Erie to avoid? I am an avid runner, and will be running in areas. (Alone, unless find running partner who like to run ~ 7 mile/day).

Thanks.
Melinda

My understanding is that you don't want to live east of Parade Street if you are north of 26th Street. In particular, stay away from 18th Street, as it has a reputation for being unsafe.

Hermione... don't we have anything else to do but check out SDN??? Don't you hear a Pathology competency calling you, too?:rolleyes:

By the way, you'll have to explain the name to me!!!;)

Hermione..the girl from Harry Potter..I was uninspired and in the middle of one of the books at the time.
Path calling me? Not so much. Maybe a far off, distant whispering, but overall pretty easy to ignore.:) Pretty sure that all new Must See TV will quiet the voice completely tonight as well...(Wishful thinking..)
I passed biochem..yea! One more to go...

If I had it to do over again, I would pick a spot close to school...try Scenery Hills or Granada, most people I talk to are pretty happy at these places. Especially if you don't have any pets to worry about.
As for roommates, try sdn, seems like lots of lecomers on here lately. Also, you will get a roommate packet at a later date from student affairs, be forewarned that this info was pretty late last year. I don't think I heard too much besides my acceptance until around March.
Also if you want, try calling some of the realtors out here..or the rental companies. There are several, if you call LECOM they may send you a rental guide.
Good luck in your search...