SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Life in the fast lane?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mtritt2, May 17, 2001.

1. mtritt2

mtritt2 Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2001
    So basically this is just my two cents. The summer has arrived and I have been spending it being poor and working at the lab. While working on my AMCAS thing it hit me, after this there's no stopping. I'm sitting here after my junior year of college and I already have to choose what I'm doing next. Which will be immediately followed by residency, job, retirement and death. (Morbid, I know.) I've been in such a hurry my whole life to get to this point or the point soon to come anyway and I'm begining to realize what a special time this is. No responsibilities, no worries, just friends and freedom. From what I hear it will never be like this again. It made me wonder what all of the hurry is. I just turned 21 and may be in med school in a year. To me that's a total mind blow. I'm just a little worried that a year from now I'm going to be sitting in my new apartment wishing I was back with my friends for a fifth year or taking a year off to bum around. Any thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. star23

star23 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2001
    I remember feeling very simliar to that, this time last year. The best thing I have to say about that is that many schools do allow you to defer for a year or two if you get accepted, so always keep that in mind. Also, if you get a chance, take a mini-vacation this summer and enjoy yourself and friends a bit. I personally didn't have a too academically strenuous senior year so I was able to do a lot of fun things this school year that I had missed in previous years when I was glued to the books. Plus, now that I am accepted, I have this whole summer to travel and see family and friends. My point is that you can make time for yourself if you really want to.
  4. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    I felt that way when I graduated too! I wound up taking some much needed time off to get some experience in research, travel, and hang out with friends. I have no regrets. I even joined Americorps this past year while interviewing. Think about it very carefully...much needed time off may do you good!
    Best of luck.