1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

life insurance physical and nicotine use

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by organicmatter, Jul 16, 2006.

1. organicmatter

organicmatter Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all. So on long call nights I like to reward myself with dip. Yeah, I know, it's disgusting. Anyway, I'm supposed to get a life insurance physical soon and I'm wondering if any of you know how well the nicotine assay detects nicotine in the blood stream. In other words, how long before the blood test do I need to stop dipping?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Yes, they do have urine and blood nicotine assays they do. Just got my disability and life insurance policy testing back and they do a urine test and if it is positive a reflex blood test automatically. there is no hiding it.

later

4. DeanWormer

DeanWormer Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I moonlight doing ins physicals...you must abstain for weeks to pee cold/clean.

5. swpm

swpm Now with extra snarkiness
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's a thought: quit using tobacco products, or man up and pay the higher premiums that come with being a drug addict.

Thanks.

6. doctordi

doctordi Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The test will detect niccotine but the company will probably take into consideration the amount of niccotine detected. Dip is considered by some companies non smoking other tobacco which will give you better rates than a smoker but higher than a person with no use at all.

7. Obedeli

Obedeli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes they do and what a difference in life insurance rates between a smoker and non smoker (nicotine vs non nicotine, it doesn't matter). When I first got my life insurance 4 years ago, I signed for half million for 17$ per month. If I was a smoker, the same coverage would cost 267$ PER MONTH!!!!!