Life is interesting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henry222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family makes less than $20,000/year
I am a first generation college student attending a Top 15 Liberal Arts University

Ever since I turned 18, I was asked to care of an aunt and uncle. My aunt had previously attempted to commit suicide. My uncle is a gambling addict and refuses to seek help. I buy groceries, cook and clean for them.

During my first semester of college, one of my uncles was diagnosed with cancer.

I was hit by a car. I walked away with minor injuries but enough to fail a test that I had 3 days later that elicited my first C+ on my transcript. Ended up with a 3.0. My uncle's condition gets better. My grades get slightly better. Ends freshman year with an overall of 3.24.

Last summer, I worked for a store for much-needed money to send to the family of my uncle who was diagnosed with cancer. In doing so, I couldn't volunteer or take on any other medical-related jobs due to the random, inflexible hours in addition to taking care of my aunt and uncle.

First semester, sophomore year, my uncle's condition worsens despite surgery and chemo. My grades slump leading to a C+ in Orgo1. I end with an overall of 3.25 that semester. My uncle passes away earlier than expected and I slowly get myself together. I expect to get an overall of 3.33.

Sophomore year, I joined a club that performs experiments and teaches its concepts to an elementary school in an impoverished area. In addition, I worked as a tutor and teacher's assistant for another elementary school, teaching math.

I plan to double major in mathematics and molecular biology & biochemistry. For the summer, I am attempting to obtain the same job for the needed money. I am also attempting to volunteer at a clinic and camp by negotiating for flexible hours.

My dream is to go to medical school. Do I have a chance if I end up with a 3.4 and a 30MCAT by the time I apply? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first generation college student attending a Top 15 Liberal Arts University

Ever since I turned 18, I was asked to care of an aunt and uncle. My aunt had previously attempted to commit suicide. My uncle is a gambling addict and refuses to seek help. I buy groceries, cook and clean for them.

During my first semester of college, one of my uncles was diagnosed with cancer.

I was hit by a car. I walked away with minor injuries but enough to fail a test that I had 3 days later that elicited my first C+ on my transcript. Ended up with a 3.0. My uncle's condition gets better. My grades get slightly better. Ends freshman year with an overall of 3.24.

Last summer, I worked for a store for much-needed money to send to the family of my uncle who was diagnosed with cancer. In doing so, I couldn't volunteer or take on any other medical-related jobs due to the random, inflexible hours in addition to taking care of my aunt and uncle.

First semester, sophomore year, my uncle's condition worsens despite surgery and chemo. My grades slump leading to a C+ in Orgo1. I end with an overall of 3.25 that semester. My uncle passes away earlier than expected and I slowly get myself together. I expect to get an overall of 3.33.

Sophomore year, I joined a club that performs experiments and teaches its concepts to an elementary school in an impoverished area. In addition, I worked as a tutor and teacher's assistant for another elementary school, teaching math.

I plan to double major in mathematics and molecular biology & biochemistry. For the summer, I am attempting to obtain the same job for the needed money. I am also attempting to volunteer at a clinic and camp by negotiating for flexible hours.

My dream is to go to medical school. Do I have a chance if I end up with a 3.4 and a 30MCAT by the time I apply? Thanks
Provided you can acquire sufficiently substantive Experiences by application time, you'd be a near shoo-in for DO med schools.

You can see historical chances for those with your projected stats by accessing sector9's sticky at the top of this forum, also found here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

See how the odds change, were you to get higher grades and spend another college year on GPA repair before applying, or if you were able to get a higher MCAT score. With straight As for the next two years, you could have a very-competitive cGPA.

Provided you can acquire sufficiently substantive Experiences by application time, you'd be a near shoo-in for DO med schools.

You can see historical chances for those with your projected stats by accessing sector9's sticky at the top of this forum, also found here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

See how the odds change, were you to get higher grades and spend another college year on GPA repair before applying, or if you were able to get a higher MCAT score. With straight As for the next two years, you could have a very-competitive cGPA.

I know that I am aiming high with my GPA at the present but I hope to go to an MD school right out of college. Do my family issues factor in at any point? In addition, would an upward trend help at all if I get mostly A's and A-'s this semester and the upcoming year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I am aiming high with my GPA at the present but I hope to go to an MD school right out of college.
1) Do my family issues factor in at any point?
2) In addition, would an upward trend help at all if I get mostly A's and A-'s this semester and the upcoming year?
1) Maybe. Can you get a dean or faculty member who knows you very well to champion you and write a strongly supportive letter that refers to your back story as well as other personal characteristics that are traits desirable in a physician? If the answer is no, then work on getting well acquainted with a suitable person over this next year.

Along with that, a well-written Secondary essay about the situation could help: A Challenge overcome, A stress and how it was managed, Explain a blip in your academic road, Is there anything else you'd like the adcomm to know, etc.

2) I'd consider outstanding academic performance such as you describe to be essential to your success. Why not flexibly plan on potentially five college years, maybe due to adding a minor or another major, in case you need to reapply, so you can stay in school?

1) Maybe. Can you get a dean or faculty member who knows you very well to champion you and write a strongly supportive letter that refers to your back story as well as other personal characteristics that are traits desirable in a physician? If the answer is no, then work on getting well acquainted with a suitable person over this next year.

Along with that, a well-written Secondary essay about the situation could help: A Challenge overcome, A stress and how it was managed, Explain a blip in your academic road, Is there anything else you'd like the adcomm to know, etc.

2) I'd consider outstanding academic performance such as you describe to be essential to your success. Why not flexibly plan on potentially five college years, maybe due to adding a minor or another major, in case you need to reapply, so you can stay in school?

I am pretty sure I can get a LOR describing what you have stated above. Assuming the possession of such a LOR and an overall GPA of 3.5 (newly calculated, forgot some classes) and assuming an average 30MCAT, how would I look for the 2013 cycle?

This is with
EC's
Volunteering at the Hospital for Special Surgery (#1 in orthopedics) as a Nurse Aid (~380 hours) - over 3 years
Camp Counselor for Double H Ranch - a summer camp for seriously-ill kids
Tutoring for an impoverished elementary school - 3hrs/week
Science Outreach Club - performing science experiments for local elementary school (different school than above) - 3hrs/week
Haagen-Dazs for 2 months - only relevant because my family needs the money
Shadowing an oncologist
Co-write published piece related to breast cancer

If relevant, in high school I tutored peers in math (my continuance of tutoring in college)

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

*How would I look for the 2013 cycle in NYS if I am in-state?

I am pretty sure I can get a LOR describing what you have stated above. Assuming the possession of such a LOR and an overall GPA of 3.5 (newly calculated, forgot some classes) and assuming an average 30MCAT, how would I look for the 2013 cycle?

This is with
EC's
Volunteering at the Hospital for Special Surgery (#1 in orthopedics) as a Nurse Aid (~380 hours) - over 3 years
Camp Counselor for Double H Ranch - a summer camp for seriously-ill kids
Tutoring for an impoverished elementary school - 3hrs/week
Science Outreach Club - performing science experiments for local elementary school (different school than above) - 3hrs/week
Haagen-Dazs for 2 months - only relevant because my family needs the money
Shadowing an oncologist
Co-write published piece related to breast cancer

If relevant, in high school I tutored peers in math (my continuance of tutoring in college)

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.
And what BCPM GPA?

If you pull out all the stops, I think you have a better than even chance for an acceptance somewhere. Get that letter. Strive to include a research experience if possible, as 73%+ of acceptees listed it. Add some primary care shadowing to your ECs. Make a solid connection to the faculty or administraqtive person who will back your story and attest to your sterling personal qualities. Get the planned ECs you mentioned. And be the best that you can be for this next two years, keeping in mind that an acceptance is never guaranteed and a second application cycle may be needed.

Probably not for MD schools, except, possibly the very bottom tier, maybe some state schools depending upon where you live. BUT, you're definitely competetive for DO schools.

Something you had better watch out for is how you will balance the demand sof medical school with your family demands. Looks like you havenot only some bad luck going on, but also poor coping skills. That kills a lot of my students.

So, at some point, you're going to have to say "no" to your extended family.