Life is What You Make of It

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lone Kendoka

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People say that it is difficult to spend quality time with your family as a physician and can only be done through specific careers in health. But I was told that if there's something that you really want to do and you're determined about it, then you'll find a way to make it happen. Like doctors can say, "I want to spend more time with my family, I don't care if I'm not getting paid for the hours I'm gone" or "I'm going under so much stress right now, I'm taking off for the day." The only thing that limits what you can do is yourself. All the uncertainties, stress, and competition in medicine are insignificant as long as you believe in yourself.

I want a career that allows me to spend quality time with my family and the people I care about, to be able to financially support my family for any financial demands they may have, be it a higher standard of living or paying for emergency bills or such, and to be able to grow and develop as a person, continuing to learn more and apply everything I learned in school. With that said, I ask of all of the pre-med, medical students, doctors, and physicians out there: is this true? Can you really assert what you want to do and the lifestyle you want to live just like that, especially as a physician in this day and age?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not always. I mean it's going to depend a lot on your specialty, how many people are in the practice, what type of practice it is, how many patients the practice sees, etc.

My father in law is a very busy surgeon and was always able to schedule his surgeries around the important things his 3 kids had planned as long as he knew about them in advance. It may be different for a physician that isn't able to set a schedule as easily, like a trauma or transplant surgeon.

They have guards stationed every 20 feet around the hospital premises who are taught to kill on sight. Underground tunnels are the only way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I'd think if you spent just ONE HOUR with your kids a day, for the rest of your life, you'd be a big enough influence in their life to matter.

If you set that a minimal expectant, you'll be ok. An hour a day isn't that bad, is it?

You can't just assert on a day to day basis when you are going home, but by choosing the right specialty, in the right practice, in the right area, you can set up your life as you like it. Some people are needed all the time, some people aren't. If you are ok with not being specifically necessary on a day to day basis, then you can have plenty of flexibility.

Also, coming from a soon-to-be pharmacy student, this seems rather troll-like.

You can't just assert on a day to day basis when you are going home, but by choosing the right specialty, in the right practice, in the right area, you can set up your life as you like it. Some people are needed all the time, some people aren't. If you are ok with not being specifically necessary on a day to day basis, then you can have plenty of flexibility.

At the very least, I want to know that my efforts and what I do is making a difference in people's lives.

:confused:----->:eyebrow:

I still have no idea what you're talking about and how it relates to the thread topic.

I was satirizing the notion that a career in medicine leaves you unable to spend time with your family and friends. Yeah, medicine is much more demanding than your average job, but I still think it's hyperbole that you can't have a life outside of the hospital.

I was satirizing the notion that a career in medicine leaves you unable to spend time with your family and friends. Yeah, medicine is much more demanding than your average job, but I still think it's hyperbole that you can't have a life outside of the hospital.

:oops: Ah, I see now. I just reread your original post and it makes so much more sense. Forgive me for not catching on.

You know, I'd think if you spent just ONE HOUR with your kids a day, for the rest of your life, you'd be a big enough influence in their life to matter.

If you set that a minimal expectant, you'll be ok. An hour a day isn't that bad, is it?

i'm nowhere close to being a parent, but i think 1 hour/day seems kinda low?