Life Most Difficult Decisions: Help!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugglemd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey premeds,

I have been lifted spiritually for the past few months and have found new faith in my life. I am currently a MS2 at Einstein.

It became clear to me that I need to rectify my mistake before I can proceed on with my medical career. When I applied 2 years ago, I did not disclose an extra year of grades after graduation. I earned B, B, B, B, C, C. I was accepted at 5 different schools.

To make a long story short, in a situation like this, how can I proceed to inform my school that I have made a mistake about my dishonesty and should pay the consequence? On the other hand, I am in the top 3% of my class right now.

I am undecided and very confuse about what I should do. what would anyone do in my shoe?????????????? Please give me your opinion. Thank you.

-SD

Members don't see this ad.

You have proven yourself in med. school. Congrats on being at the top 3%. I don't think it matters anymore what or how you did in undergrad. Those days are gonne. Just to make sure that this is irrelevant, I would talk to someone from the faculty in confidence, someone you're cool with. Maybe they can give you better advice.

I am very sorry for your situation. I think that you should tread lightly on this matter. Doing the right thing is sometimes a very heard thing to do, but in the end it hopefully will pay off. I would try and get some opinions on SDN from otehr Einstein students, and maybe ask some at other schools if they have been through this. I have heard stories of students being expelled for such things, but it would seem that the school would want to avoid this, especially if you are proving to be an academic asset now. It ultimately is your tough decision to make, but I think that just by posting here you have shown a lot of courage, and you already know you will come clean, you just need reassurance and support. That being said, this is your future, and if you truly will make a good doctor, and admitting this would ruin your chances of making that impact, I think that from a utilitarian standpoint not telling the truth would be better. It is all up to you, I suggest most of all confiding in a close friend (and I mean very close). I truly hope this all works out for you, I hope they will be sympathetic to your dreams and apprehensions about telling them originally, and will only levy a small punishment against you. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't quite understand, didn't you send them an official transcript?

I agree with chalklette it definitely is a moral issue, but if somehow your school found out about this mistake before you confess, what are the consequences? Faith is a good thing, obviously you want to come clean, but weigh your consequence's first. It doesn't seem too serious to me as if you were stealing grades or something, they did receive your transcript so i don't know how neccesary your confession is. I hope that helps you.

That's a crazy situation; I've never heard of anything like it. I see your difficulties... I personally would have a hard time risking my entire future over my conscience though. I doubt your lie seriously hurt anyone. I'm sure you would have still been accepted had you told the truth.

Be sure to let us know what you decide, and what the outcome is.