life of a californian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRabbit

Reaction score
I've come across a few threads that talk about how having CA residence isn't very helpful for MD apps. Is there truth to this, or is it merely conjecture? o_O Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've come across a few threads that talk about how having CA residence isn't very helpful for MD apps. Is there truth to this, or is it merely conjecture? o_O Thanks in advance!
It's conjecture. CA has a large imbalance of applicants to IS med school seats, so this is where the conjecture comes from. Only 17.3% of CA applicants matriculate IS, but this is mitigated by 24.5% who matriculate OOS. The combined 41.8% matriculation rate compares favorably with a national number of 41.0%.

Reactions: 2 users

Are you talking about in general or specifically about Cali schools and Calimresidents. If in general I don’t know but lots and lots of CA residents are successful in applying out of state. In state CA schools are very hard to be accepted to because there are so many qualified residents. The exceptions are schools with specific missions(UCR, Loma Linda and maybe a couple of others). I think I read that the premed applicants from UCLA can fill every seat in Cali med schools each cycle. @gyngyn , a highly regarded ADCOM and professor from California has written extensively on the subject.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about in general or specifically about Cali schools and Calimresidents. If in general I don’t know but lots and lots of CA residents are successful in applying out of state. In state CA schools are very hard to be accepted to because there are so many qualified residents. The exceptions are schools with specific missions(UCR, Loma Linda and maybe a couple of others). I think I read that the premed applicants from UCLA can fill every seat in Cali med schools each cycle. @gyngyn , a highly regarded ADCOM and professor from California has written extensively on the subject.

Thanks for the info! Funny that you mention UCLA premeds; in my last interview cohort of ~20 people, there were 4 from UCLA lol

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 2 users
Oof, I felt that. CA res here, all my interviews and acceptances are OOS, no CA interviews yet....I might one of those leaving CA and trying to handle that OOS tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users