Life of a Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekozoid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am posting here to seek answers to a question of mine that I've been dwelling on for a while now. What is it like to be a Pediatric Cardiac/Cardiothoracic Surgeon?? I'm asking cause I am thinking about pursuing this option as I enjoy surgery and cardiology. I am too stubborn to let it go since the future is kind of bleak for cardiothoracic surgeons, as they say at various places/locations/articles/you get the idea.

But let me know what its like, I'm genuinely curious even if I decide to do something different at the end. What is your day like? How's work and life balanced? Do you enjoy your time while working? Anything you would like to see different or feel will change in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN!

I am posting here to seek answers to a question of mine that I've been dwelling on for a while now. What is it like to be a Pediatric Cardiac/Cardiothoracic Surgeon?? I'm asking cause I am thinking about pursuing this option as I enjoy surgery and cardiology. I am too stubborn to let it go since the future is kind of bleak for cardiothoracic surgeons, as they say at various places/locations/articles/you get the idea.

But let me know what its like, I'm genuinely curious even if I decide to do something different at the end. What is your day like? How's work and life balanced? Do you enjoy your time while working? Anything you would like to see different or feel will change in the future?
Life? What life? You're going to be so specialized at that point that that you'll work constantly. Not to mention how long it'll take to become a peds cards surgeon. As for the future of the specialty, I doubt it's bleak, but I'm also not speaking from personal experience. In adults most cards surgery revolves around CABGs, devices implantation, etc. In peds however, most of the stuff involves congenital defects like tetralogy of fallot, valve and Septal defects, and all those other things you don't really see in adults. Again, I'm no expert on this particular subject, but I doubt peds interventional cardiologists will be doing those procedures endovascularly anytime soon to replace cardiac surgeons.

I will say though...I've scrubbed in on some peds cards surgeries and holy crap those procedures are amazing to watch. Id say they're probably the most technically challenging surgeries out there.

Disclaimer: I'm only an MS-3, but that's what I've gathered so far about that specialty

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read "walk on water".

Also, from what I understand you are looking at med school + 5 years gen surg + 2-3 years of CT + 1-2 years of congenital + a few years as a "junior attending" to make sure the you don't kill anyone while you develop your skills. This isn't counting any research years that you need to take.

Reactions: 1 user
I've spent a little time around some of the congenital heart surgery guys, since my son has a single ventricle defect. These guys work hard. Long, long hours. Late nights, early mornings. Emergencies. Not a lot of staff to go around, so you're constantly on. My hospital only has 1 guy, and he only recently came, so he's constantly working. Of course they also pay him $1.3m/year.

Either way, I can't imagine there being much of a life outside of work.

Hello SDN!

The future for cardiothoracic surgery is hardly bleak. It's just evolving; this is the case for every field. The development of PPIs drastically changed General Surgery... as did the non-operative management of trauma. However, the field adapted, and has managed to keep chugging along.

Concerns about PCI, TAVR, TEVAR, and transcatheter mitral are real. As such, the next generation of cardiac surgeons needs to have wire skills and/or a good understanding of minimally invasive techniques (port-access mitral, minimally invasive AVR, etc.). That's where training in an I6 program comes in. You get 6 years to learn all of this stuff instead of 2-3.

I wanted to do congenital when I was younger. However, the job market is tough, and the prospect of being a junior attending in an apprenticeship model for several years after finishing fellowship is also not too pleasant.

The cases are extraordinarily complex, and there's an incredible amount of variation. Just sit down and read a chapter on DORV, and you will have a glimpse into how tricky things can be. It's really exciting to think about how awesome it would be to be able to do an arterial switch in a neonate. Standing there with the prolene in your hands is slightly different.

These guys work hard. Their results are heavily scrutinized. The field is tiny. The stakes are high.

Reactions: 5 users
The future for cardiothoracic surgery is hardly bleak. It's just evolving; this is the case for every field. The development of PPIs drastically changed General Surgery... as did the non-operative management of trauma. However, the field adapted, and has managed to keep chugging along.

Concerns about PCI, TAVR, TEVAR, and transcatheter mitral are real. As such, the next generation of cardiac surgeons needs to have wire skills and/or a good understanding of minimally invasive techniques (port-access mitral, minimally invasive AVR, etc.). That's where training in an I6 program comes in. You get 6 years to learn all of this stuff instead of 2-3.

I wanted to do congenital when I was younger. However, the job market is tough, and the prospect of being a junior attending in an apprenticeship model for several years after finishing fellowship is also not too pleasant.

The cases are extraordinarily complex, and there's an incredible amount of variation. Just sit down and read a chapter on DORV, and you will have a glimpse into how tricky things can be. It's really exciting to think about how awesome it would be to be able to do an arterial switch in a neonate. Standing there with the prolene in your hands is slightly different.

These guys work hard. Their results are heavily scrutinized. The field is tiny. The stakes are high.

I agree with your statement 100% tbh, there is a reason why I am stubborn about letting it go as a career opportunity. I did do some reading on the integrated programs as you mentioned, but I am curious if those programs are incredibly competitive to get into (may be a stupid question), but again thats how you learn right? I am interested because it sounds and looks fascinating but I also want to live a well-rounded life as well (again sounds stupid but its the reality!)