Life of Married Med Students whose SO works? Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Mar 15, 2010
Orlando/Tally, FL
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I am married and entering med school this year while my wife plans to continue working. Any married med students out there, whose SO works?

Does this help with debt or hurt? Do you have much time to spend with each other? Anything to be aware of?

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
I'm in the same boat, not sure how it could hurt, debt-wise but seems like she will at least have something to do during the say and all. We are looking at living some place a little more expensive than we would have without her working, so there are some perks I've seen already. I'll still take out loans over the tuition price though.

Concubine

PDE5 inhibited
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Last edited:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's good, trust me. She was my sugar mama through med school. None of my living expenses went onto loans, and I went on a few nice vacations that wouldn't have happened without her.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I hope i have an SO when entering medical school, it would suck to worry about being single while being so busy with school

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm in the same boat, not sure how it could hurt, debt-wise
Three letters

E

F

C

Even so, you will probably be better off. I will also have a working significant other during med school.

Since you will have a higher EFC you will not be able to take out as many loans. I worked out a hypothetical with my fiance's expected salary. With her making about 30,000 it came out to an EFC of about 8k. That means I can take out 8K less in loans than many of my classmates. However, most schools way inflate your possible loans, as in you are allowed to take out much more than you actually need. You will be making about 30,000 more than your classmates, but be able to take out about 8000 less in loans (again, adjust for your numbers. There are plenty of online calculators)

DP4NB3S301314

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Medical