lifestyle for a general surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed people mentioning in this forum that General Surgeons have to work long hours and their lifestyle is pretty difficult. However, I've noticed that some Gen Surgeons just come in , do their thing and leave early. Seemed like they had great work hours. Do general surgeons get to choose their hours or does it depend on the hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

. Do general surgeons get to choose their hours or does it depend on the hospital?

Yes. Surgeons choose their hours by choosing where they practice.

Most people dream of a job in a terrific city that pays a bunch to do really interesting work that they can schedule at their leisure. Very few docs have the skillset to command that type of job, particularly in general surgery. So you have to choose what's most important to you. If short or controllable hours are a priority, they can be found. Many people don't want to make the sacrifices involved (generally in income or practice location).

My understanding is that general surgeons have a rougher lifestyle because of so many emergencies. If you join a group or practice that rotates call, it won't be so bad because your emergencies will be someone else's to deal with while they're on call.

Maybe I'm wrong - correct me anyone if I am.

There are tons of posts regarding this subject.

As Pilot notes, your lifestyle depends on your practice environment but you must be willing to make sacrifices (usually in the form of less money) to get the better lifestyle in terms of fewer hours.

General surgeons who take call in community hospitals with quiet emergency rooms are going to have better call nights, but then again, each case and consult is money in your pocket, so you "pay" for having a quieter life in the form of lost income.