Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

lifestyle-friendlier medicine programs

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by icebreakers, Dec 10, 2005.

1. icebreakers

icebreakers Member
    7+ Year Member

is there such a thing a s alighter medicine residency? what is the most relaxed call schedule out there? q5/6?

What are the lighter programs in the midwest. I like medicine a lot, but after seeing what the residents go through in my medicine rotation, and how they are having such difficulty balancing their training witht their personal lives and stress loads, i'm having a lot of second thoughts. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

I hope there is still a way to enter medicine ( i would prefer specializing) and not killing myself..having a more relaxed and balanced life?

are community programs in general, lighter on call? are there any Im programs with more than 1day off per week?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. inositide

inositide Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are no residencies which are totally easy. Internship is almost uniformly a challenging time in terms of long hours. Surgical interns, obgyn interns, medicine interns, all face the same challenges in terms of time management.

Most programs closely abide by the 80 hours per week rule and those that go over usually dont go over by more than 5-8 hours. Past generations of interns and residents did q2 call and a huge number of hours like 120 hours per week and those people survived. So will you.

Do not pick a field simply based on the life of the intern. In medicine, most residencies are front loaded and the interns take the brunt of the work but life becomes a little better after internship when more elective time is available.

Primary care internal medicine residencies are special tracks in internal medicine where a large amount of third year and often times half of 2nd year is spent doing 9am-5pm outpatient internal medicine with a lot of weekends off.

4. Furrball2

Furrball2 Stll Faking Sincerity
    5+ Year Member

There is still a lot of variation. My IM program we do 9.5 month of q4d call. The neighboring community program does 5 months of call.

5. Ice-1

Ice-1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Exempla St. Joseph in Denver has a night float system. Each intern participates in the night float for one month out of the year, but after that (or before that depending on when it is scheduled) there is no overnight call.

6. icebreakers

icebreakers Member
    7+ Year Member

what is like the avg. number of months in the intern year of medicine where weekends are off?

how about the second year and then the third.

free time here and there is where i maintained my sanity during my medicine clerkship....

is it just me or does it feel like you are totally not learning anything in the medicine clerkship and that you will never master everything...and that its a waste of time to even try....only up until the end of the rotation where ...now i feel much more adept at getting an H&p and can focus on my A&P and actually start to think of a differential from the moment i get the cheif complaint.

i feel like if i had had more time to read during my medicine clerkship..i would have loved the rotation even more..because after a certain point, i had learned all i was going to learn on the floors withouth picking up my reading on the side.....

7. usmleed

usmleed Member
    5+ Year Member

Wayne state university/ sinai grace program has q7 schedule.

8. carminosa

carminosa Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does anyone think that your education will be seriously compromised by going to a smaller community program vs the large academic programs or is it based on your end point eg. fellowship vs primary care?

9. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

Northwestern: Q5 on the wards with no night call (except in ICU and VA which are Q4).