Lifestyle friendly IM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncology2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for categorical IM residencies that have a bit more family-friendly hours. I know residencies are brutal and I'm not asking because I'm trying to get out of work, I have a sick family member that I would like to spend some time with. I've looked at IM residencies on FRIEDA, with a few saying average work hours is 55 hrs/week excluding beeper call while others straight up say that they expect residents to work 70 hrs/week excluding beeper call. How accurate are the 55hr/wk numbers? What is beeper call exactly? Is that the same thing as being on-call? For the 55 hr/wk programs. how much is typically beeper call (another 12 hours/wk)? Any recommendations on family-friendly IM residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you just have to make sure you find a program that observes and adheres to the mandatory work hour limits and you should be alright. Also, what does 55 hr/wk really mean? 45 hr/wk on one service, then 75 hrs on ward months, 48 hrs/wk night float? The purpose of your interviews is to make your own evaluations of each program you visit, you will discern the type of place where the housestaff is the dumping pad of overworked misery and others where it will be challenging no doubt but formative to developing excellent internists while there being some balance you want to achieve. If that is too much, strongly consider family practice, where it is highly variable (you can find the M-F 8-5 clinic, call from home, 1 weekend/month inpatient rounds, etc, kind of program, if you look hard). Sorry to hear about the family member, best wishes, good luck!