Lifestyle, hours compared to FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACTO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is/are the lifestyle, hours of Psych generally that much better than FM? What about opportunity? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two. Don't get me wrong, I am considering many other factors and have legitimate interests in both and I know they are quite different.
As far as lifestyle, hours and opportunity, I'm curious what people have to say. This is not meant to be a contest or slam down on either of these terrific options. Just looking for some comments. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is/are the lifestyle, hours of Psych generally that much better than FM? What about opportunity? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two. Don't get me wrong, I am considering many other factors and have legitimate interests in both and I know they are quite different.
As far as lifestyle, hours and opportunity, I'm curious what people have to say. This is not meant to be a contest or slam down on either of these terrific options. Just looking for some comments. Thanks :)

1st question: Yes.

2nd question: define opportunity

1st qu-much more
2nd qu - much more for psych

I may be biased as a current psych resident, but I believe in terms of lifestyle, pay and variety of work settings psych beats fm. With fm, though, I think you would be able to get one of those cushy hospitalist positions, were it is common to work 10-12 12 hours shifts each month as an attending.