Lifestyle in academic psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering pursuing medical school with the goal of becoming a psychiatrist. Currently I work in an academic medical center and really like this setting. I would like a career that combines clinical practice and research. However, I am also a female in my mid-20's who would like a family some day. Also, while I am driven and the field really interests me, I am not really a type A personality. For this reason I am also considering some of the allied health professions such as PMHNP. Can anyone tell me what the lifestyle is like working in academic psychiatry? Is it a 9-5 type of job and is it possible to balance with family commitments?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering pursuing medical school with the goal of becoming a psychiatrist. Currently I work in an academic medical center and really like this setting. I would like a career that combines clinical practice and research. However, I am also a female in my mid-20's who would like a family some day. Also, while I am driven and the field really interests me, I am not really a type A personality. For this reason I am also considering some of the allied health professions such as PMHNP. Can anyone tell me what the lifestyle is like working in academic psychiatry? Is it a 9-5 type of job and is it possible to balance with family commitments?

I'm in the same position as you. I'm a type B and for a long time thought I wasn't "intense" enough for medicine... the premeds at my school were downright scary at times lol. I figure there is a specialty for everyone though. I'm more concerned with timing I guess... having kids during intern year, etc. I'm looking for family friendly fields even in residency, but I'm not sure how it will work out.

Last edited:
There are lots of fine examples of very successful academic mothers working in very high powered programs. I just participated in an advancement committee for someone’s promotion to professor and she has 3 children under 10. Having said this, it would take a very unusual person not to have their career priorities somewhat altered by parental duties.
You can have it all, but it is difficult and there will be times for compromise.