Lifestyle of an invasive, non-interventional Cardiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in high school, and I'm interested in becoming an invasive, non interventional cardiologist and I need some help on a few questions:

1. How many hours a day does an invasive, non interventional cardiologist work?
2. Does an invasive, non interventional cardiologist work on weekends?
3. Is an invasive, non interventional cardiologist always on call, even in the middle of the night? If so, is that every night?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hours vary. Most physicians I would think in the cardiology field probably work 60hrs a week. You can probably find averages online.
Yes, you will definitely work some weekends. You will work a LOT of weekends while you are in training, which takes about 10 years after college at least. You will not be on call every single night, no, and if you don't do interventional cardiology (the guys who place stents in the coronaries) you won't have to go in in the middle of the night as much. You will have to when you are in residency and fellowship and the last 2 clinical years of med school, which is 8 years at least.

Hours vary. Most physicians I would think in the cardiology field probably work 60hrs a week. You can probably find averages online.
Yes, you will definitely work some weekends. You will work a LOT of weekends while you are in training, which takes about 10 years after college at least. You will not be on call every single night, no, and if you don't do interventional cardiology (the guys who place stents in the coronaries) you won't have to go in in the middle of the night as much. You will have to when you are in residency and fellowship and the last 2 clinical years of med school, which is 8 years at least.
Thanks for the response.