Lifestyle Profession or Just Living with a Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brewmeistervi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you guys probably have the best exposure to what kind of life doctors really live, I figure you might have some input.

I don't have any problem working hard, and I think I can become a doctor who works through the night on a regular basis... but I don't think that it is best for having a family. My dad was an OB/GYN in a small city, so he was on call all the time (therefore he missed out on a lot of my childhood). I kinda want to be there MORE for my family (and not get into a divorce, etc). With that in mind, I would really like to chose a challenging profession (I'm looking at ortho right now) but I'm worried about forgetting my family.

I know that there are tons of doctors out there who manage a family quite well. Can I choose a time exhaustive specialty and still have time for a family? I hear that doctors frequently get into partnerships of 3 or more in order to have more time to themselves. 50 hours a week is not bad at all. Its a little early to know exactly what I want to do, but I want to limit my choices with the time goal in mind.
Any doctors out there with a family have some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you guys probably have the best exposure to what kind of life doctors really live, I figure you might have some input.

I don't have any problem working hard, and I think I can become a doctor who works through the night on a regular basis... but I don't think that it is best for having a family. My dad was an OB/GYN in a small city, so he was on call all the time (therefore he missed out on a lot of my childhood). I kinda want to be there MORE for my family (and not get into a divorce, etc). With that in mind, I would really like to chose a challenging profession (I'm looking at ortho right now) but I'm worried about forgetting my family.

I know that there are tons of doctors out there who manage a family quite well. Can I choose a time exhaustive specialty and still have time for a family? I hear that doctors frequently get into partnerships of 3 or more in order to have more time to themselves. 50 hours a week is not bad at all. Its a little early to know exactly what I want to do, but I want to limit my choices with the time goal in mind.
Any doctors out there with a family have some advice?

go into dentistry

I would just focus on doing well the first two years, and getting a great Step 1 score - at least then you have options. Keep an open mind and see what you like during your third year rotations. It's still pretty early to be worrying about lifestyle.

I would just focus on doing well the first two years, and getting a great Step 1 score - at least then you have options. Keep an open mind and see what you like during your third year rotations. It's still pretty early to be worrying about lifestyle.

I agree with the above, except I believe its never too early to be thinking about lifestyle. You have to know what you are capable of or irregardless of what specialty you choose, if it doesn't match up with who you are or what your personality is, you will be unhappy or you won't see it through.

There are people who live to work and there are people who work to live.

From what I know, ortho does have a pretty good lifestyle, when residency is all done for.

Also, the earlier you know what you want to go into, the more/better away rotations you can setup, the more/better rec letters you can get, etc.

There are people who live to work and there are people who work to live.

From what I know, ortho does have a pretty good lifestyle, when residency is all done for.

/QUOTE]

Just like a lot of fields...it depends on the location and style of practice. The ortho guys/gals I know work their a$$es off. They have 2-3 OR days where they go from about 6 or 7 a.m. straight through till 7 or 8 p.m. with a quick lunch in between. Doesn't seem too bad till you factor in the extraneous stuff they have to polish off outside of the OR. Then they get bombarded with ER calls and everything else as well.

I feel that people put too much of a distinguishing lifestyle versus non-lifestyle line. My dad is a radiologist and put in well over 70 hours a week, and then the general surgery guys (before two people left their practice) were putting in 60 hours..which really isn't that bad. Just all depends on how you choose to develop your career..like every other job.

Just like a lot of fields...it depends on the location and style of practice. The ortho guys/gals I know work their a$$es off. They have 2-3 OR days where they go from about 6 or 7 a.m. straight through till 7 or 8 p.m. with a quick lunch in between. Doesn't seem too bad till you factor in the extraneous stuff they have to polish off outside of the OR. Then they get bombarded with ER calls and everything else as well.

I feel that people put too much of a distinguishing lifestyle versus non-lifestyle line. My dad is a radiologist and put in well over 70 hours a week, and then the general surgery guys (before two people left their practice) were putting in 60 hours..which really isn't that bad. Just all depends on how you choose to develop your career..like every other job.

I agree with you, I would just like to add that some specialties inherently require more time or call, compared with others.

public health/community medicine :)

go into dentistry

This is so true... If I liked fine motor tasks, this might have been my direction. Because the lifestyle is great.

But on a more practical note- ENT, radiology, anesthesiology and derm have good reputations for lifestyle. Of course, you can always do a primary care specialty and just choose to practice reduced hours, though of course your salary will reflect this.