Light course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neil45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am getting worried. I am taking 15 credits this semester of Biochem(with lab), Organic chem(with lab), Microbio(with lab), Ecology(with lab), and Psychology. Unfortunately, there is going to be a good chance that I will get a "D" in Biochemistry course as I did poorly on my midterm and my lab exam. If I drop this course and get a "W", will it look bad to adcoms that I took 12 credits this semester? I took 14 credits both semesters last year in my freshman year, and I am worried that adcoms will think I am taking a light course load.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am getting worried. I am taking 15 credits this semester of Biochem(with lab), Organic chem(with lab), Microbio(with lab), Ecology(with lab), and Psychology. Unfortunately, there is going to be a good chance that I will get a "D" in Biochemistry course as I did poorly on my midterm and my lab exam. If I drop this course and get a "W", will it look bad to adcoms that I took 12 credits this semester? I took 14 credits both semesters last year in my freshman year, and I am worried that adcoms will think I am taking a light course load.

How in the world does that only add up to 15 credit hours? Here biochem is 3 hours and no lab, Orgo&lab is 5 hours, Microbio is 3 hours, Ecology&lab at least 4 hours, and any psych class is a minimum of three hours. Add all those up and its about 18 hours. Your school must just have a ridiculous system. I would recommend dropping the class that is the least credit hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my classes are 3 credits, including the ones with labs.

I don't know, maybe the system is different here in Canada?

Anymore opinions?

I would drop it.

It's not worth taking the class and failing just so you have 15 credits.

Plus those 12 credits aren't easy (well not for me anyway...).

its ok. Im only taking 13 units (biochem, orgolab, physics). It's pretty damn obvious that these are killer classes. Anyways units don't really mean anything. Statistics (BS) is worth 5 units, while multivariable calculus is only worth 4 units.:eek:

Thanks, you guys.

I'm in canada too, and basically it depends where you want to apply. Some schools like UofT like a full courseload, and will apply a weighting scheme where you can drop courses if you took a full courseload (in this case it might be better to just take the D) ... tho i'm not sure if you qualify with taking 14 each sem. last year. There are a couple other schools that want atleast a few years with full courseload in canada. I'm not sure if UBC cares, if you're only gonna apply there only, i'ld say drop it.