Light courseload for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had orignally planned to take my spring semester off to dedicate to full time MCAT studying (and perhaps an EC on the side), but switched majors and now I have to take two classes that semester (this is Spring 07). One class is 3 credits, the other is 2. Not much. I've taken two summers of classes plus AP credits so I can get away with a light schedule and still be ahead credit wise. I will have been done all my pre-reqs before that semester. My question: am I insane? I've heard of people taking the minimum full-time student load, but I'm well below that. Perhaps this will be frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad.

wolfram241 said:
I had orignally planned to take my spring semester off to dedicate to full time MCAT studying (and perhaps an EC on the side), but switched majors and now I have to take two classes that semester (this is Spring 07). One class is 3 credits, the other is 2. Not much. I've taken two summers of classes plus AP credits so I can get away with a light schedule and still be ahead credit wise. I will have been done all my pre-reqs before that semester. My question: am I insane? I've heard of people taking the minimum full-time student load, but I'm well below that. Perhaps this will be frowned upon?

Not necessarily per se but i think taking a good courseload of classes would look great to adcoms if you do well on the MCATs and classes. I took a standard four classes while studying for the MCATs, three of which were grad level classes in bio and anthro (im double major). I managed to pull of a 3.91 and did well on the MCATs (31S). I thijkn that might be takne into consideration when applying to med schools, they want to see that students can handle a large workload.

I think its great if you can take classes, but for me it wasn't worth risking. I took the whole semester off and I am really glad I did. I got a 36, but then again I know some superstars who got 37s and 39s while taking a full load -- just wasn't for me.

I think adcoms don't really care much, but ask around.

wolfram241 said:

Just something to think about...

If you drop from full-time student status, you run the risk of losing your coverage on your parents' health insuarance and having your loans start needing to be paid (if you have any). It shouldn't be that hard for you to fill up the rest of the semeter to get the 12 credits to be a full-time student with some lighter classes if you want. Ask around and see what classes are easy and don't take up a lot of time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The way I look at it, I’d rather play it safe and go for the good MCAT score instead of risking a lower MCAT score and perhaps damaged GPA just to show adcoms I did everything at once.

I didn’t consider the health insurance thing. I’ll look into it. Otherwise I don’t take financial aid or have any loans, so no problem there. Only other issue is I’ll be kicked off campus housing as a part-time student.

Thanks again.