LIJ / Univ Rochester / Ohio State / Harvard South Shore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotuseater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on quality of teaching / fellowships and job opp of the residents / call schedule / "bigger name" of :

Albert Einstein at Long Island Jewish Hospital (LIJ)
and/or

University of Rochester
and/or

Ohio State
and/or

Harvard South Shore?

How would you rank them in reference to each other? Thank you !!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a little of LIJ but in reference to the other programs I can't give you a suggestion as to which is better or worse becuase I don't know much about the other programs.

I can tell you though that U of Rochester gets terrible lake effect weather. IF you're into dark days, cold winters, hot & humid summers but some very good skiing that's what you're going to get there.

I know a little of LIJ but in reference to the other programs I can't give you a suggestion as to which is better or worse becuase I don't know much about the other programs.

I can tell you though that U of Rochester gets terrible lake effect weather. IF you're into dark days, cold winters, hot & humid summers but some very good skiing that's what you're going to get there.

as a current u of r student, i feel the need to correct this a little.

-rochester definitely gets its share of snow, but it's probably not as bad as you think. i'm originally from new england. i would say that annually, the total snow amounts are similar. in rochester, it snows more frequently but we rarely get big storms (ie, we only have a couple storms each year of > 4") whereas in new england, it snows less frequently, but the storms tend to be much bigger (many storms >6"). there are certainly many gray days, especially from nov-march. syracuse and buffalo get a lot more snow--i think rochester gets a bad rap since it's right in the middle of those two cities. the lake effect really creates an amazing snow gradient throughout the region. two points just a couple miles apart can get significantly different amounts of snow.

-it's certainly no colder here than anywhere else in new england, just perhaps a bit windier

-the summers are really nice. most of the time weather is in the 70s-80s. it's humid, yes, but i've lived in north carolina, where it's a whole lot worse! we've gotten through good portions of the summer without using our ac

-skiing here is okay, certainly not like the rockies or even vermont/new hampshire

-i wish i could tell you more about the program here---it's hard for me to know what's what since i haven't started residency yet. i will say that i've gotten to know many faculty pretty well as a med student and they're a wonderful bunch of people. they're incredibly supportive of residents and are really dedicated to teaching. that, i'm sure, is a huge strength of the program. there are some pretty good research opportunities, especially in suicide (a huge focus of the department). it's certainly a smaller program, which is plus/minus depending what you're looking for. call is really chill here, it's quite infrequent even as an intern. even the nonpsych months aren't bad. medicine is q4 call till 9 PM i believe, with NO overnight call. the residents seem like a nice bunch, supportive of each other and there seems to be a good sense of camaraderie.

Members don't see this ad :)
as a current u of r student, i feel the need to correct this a little.

-rochester definitely gets its share of snow, but it's probably not as bad as you think. i'm originally from new england. i would say that annually, the total snow amounts are similar. in rochester, it snows more frequently but we rarely get big storms (ie, we only have a couple storms each year of > 4") whereas in new england, it snows less frequently, but the storms tend to be much bigger (many storms >6"). there are certainly many gray days, especially from nov-march. syracuse and buffalo get a lot more snow--i think rochester gets a bad rap since it's right in the middle of those two cities. the lake effect really creates an amazing snow gradient throughout the region. two points just a couple miles apart can get significantly different amounts of snow.

-it's certainly no colder here than anywhere else in new england, just perhaps a bit windier

I don't know, dude. Here is a table showing the top 15 snoweist cities in the US. Rochester is 12. Yes, it's less then Syarcuse, but 92" per year is a lot of freaking snow in my book...With that said, I have two friends at med school there and they both love it there.

Top snowiest U.S. citiesLOCATIONAMOUNTLOCATIONAMOUNT1. Blue Canyon, Calif.240.39. Sexton Summit, Ore.97.82. Marquette, Mich.141.010. Muskegon, Mich.96.13. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.117.411. Buffalo93.64. Syracuse, N.Y.115.612. Rochester, N.Y.92.35. Caribou, Maine111.613. Erie, Pa. 88.86. Mount Shasta, Calif.104.914. Alpena, Mich.84.67. Lander, Wyo.100.415. Binghamton, N.Y.84.28. Flagstaff, Ariz.100.3*Valdez, Alaska 326.0

I don't know, dude. Here is a table showing the top 15 snoweist cities in the US. Rochester is 12. Yes, it's less then Syarcuse, but 92" per year is a lot of freaking snow in my book...With that said, I have two friends at med school there and they both love it there.

Top snowiest U.S. citiesLOCATIONAMOUNTLOCATIONAMOUNT1. Blue Canyon, Calif.240.39. Sexton Summit, Ore.97.82. Marquette, Mich.141.010. Muskegon, Mich.96.13. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.117.411. Buffalo93.64. Syracuse, N.Y.115.612. Rochester, N.Y.92.35. Caribou, Maine111.613. Erie, Pa. 88.86. Mount Shasta, Calif.104.914. Alpena, Mich.84.67. Lander, Wyo.100.415. Binghamton, N.Y.84.28. Flagstaff, Ariz.100.3*Valdez, Alaska 326.0

yes, i saw numbers like this before i decided to come here for med school and they certainly were a consideration as i made my decision. my point is, as someone who spent 18 years in new hampshire and almost 4 in rochester, there's not an appreciable difference between the amount of snow we get. my wife, who has the same geographical background agrees (and she was initially quite apprehensive about the snow before we moved here). i think the snow in new hampshire and new england in general tends to be much more debilitating because the storms are bigger. here, since the accumulation from any one "storm" tend to be just an inch or two, it's almost a nonfactor. i can honestly say that with one or two exceptions, there's never been a time where i was snowed in here. on the flip side, in new hampshire/new england, the storms produce debilitating amounts of snow--there are more frequent school "snow days" there because of that. also, the snow tends to stick around longer. right now, there's about an inch of snow on the ground here in rochester (you could actually see the grass on my lawn until a few days ago, when it snowed a bit), compared to NH, where the snowbanks are like 5-6 feet high at the moment (my inlaws sent us pictures!)

another anecdotal way to describe things: this winter, we've had to use our snowblower three times. in total, we've used it no more than a dozen times since we've been here. our inlaws in new hampshire have used their snowblower about a dozen times this winter alone!

just to boil this all down into one succinct point: Rochester-much grayer/cloudier, much more frequent snow, smaller storms, less cumulative amounts, less debilitating. New England-more sunny days, less frequent, bigger, more debilitating storms.

***now if you want to talk about road maintenance, that's a whole other point. road maintenance/snow removal/sanding/salting in rochester SUCKS compared to new hampshire.

-skiing here is okay, certainly not like the rockies or even vermont/new hampshire

You certainly are correct there! When I mentioned good skiing, that is relative. Colorado, Vermont, the Swiss Alps--now that's GOOD skiing!

Rochester would be number 1 for quality of teaching and bigger name in this list. South Shore also get the bigger name price and definitely takes you to the best fellowships in other Harvard programs but regarding calls, they aint the best.

Really? Univ of Rochester has a bigger name than Albert Einstein at LIJ, and Harvard South Shore? You mention both Univ of Roch and Harvard South Shore in a positive light, but what about LIJ?

I would love to get more people's feedback on these programs, rank lists are almost due and any info would help as I feel I have exhausted all other resources!

Thank you so much!